Monday, October 24, 2022

Sock Ministry and VoxTox

Here's where the latest socks, two in one, are


That white section is the separation point, where I'll take the two socks apart. It's where cuffs will be knitted after separation. Right now I'm up to foot two,  sock two, heel complete, on the way to the toe.

New readers, the destination for all the socks other than the very occasional pair for the knitter, made from non-ministry yarn,  is a ministry to the homeless and addicted, often both, north of here. 

A van of nuns, who have been nurses and social workers, goes out and works on the street, bringing medical and other practical attention to people in desperate need. 

Socks, well made, comfortable, are a regular need, so I've taken that on. I found nobody in the religious community, who also knit with donated yarn, can knit socks. They were given some beautiful sock yarn and appealed in the newsletter for help. An opportunity made for the likes of me.

So this year I've been doing it, and this is probably Pair Nineteen, lost track a while ago.  

I'm not a member of any religion, but I do observe the Corporal and Spiritual Works of Mercy, which are just pretty much what a decent person would do without knowing about them! Not wishing to sound holy, I'm far from it, just that's how it fits into my life.

I'm isolated by age and circumstances, aside from the pandemic which simply formalized my normal life, but this Ministry enables me to be connected in an important way beyond just words on a screen, important as they too are.

While I knit, only for a while each day, many other things going on around here, I listen to audiobooks and YouTube.

I'm revisiting VoxTox at the moment, a great series of short videos Sandi Toksvig, brilliant comic, historian, archaeologist, writer, woman of many parts, made daily, to help people through lockdown. The dog is Mildred 



Take a look. She discontinued the series once things opened up again in Britain where she lives, but the series, loads of episodes, is still there and worth catching. Since it's largely verbal, about books and history,  you can do other things without missing anything.

Happy day everyone, ending here as Sandi does: take care, be kind!




20 comments:

  1. You have chosen a wonderful way to give back and connect. It is important to be part of a community.
    The Vox Tox first picture, the fireplace surround looks lovely. Right away I felt that's a comfort to have a fireplace. One year I tried to make a fake cardboard surround for the holidays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that reading by the fireplace is a great intro image.

      Delete
  2. Your practice in the Corporal and Spiritual Ministries of Mercy is beautiful. And actually something I could believe in.
    Thank you for the recommendation of Vox Tox. She was on British Bake Off for awhile, wasn't she? I'll give her a listen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe she was though I've never seen the program. Take a look at VT, for great learning time!

      Delete
  3. Sandy Toksvig is terrific, and brilliant. I haven't seen Vox Tox but maybe I'll check it out. Kudos on the socks! You do an amazing job and I know they're appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'll like the series. Each is only a few minutes long, so I binge.

      Delete
  4. I liked Sandi Toksvig for the short time that she was a host on The Great British Baking Show. I haven't seen her in any of her other British shows though. I may check out those videos -- they sound good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that pattern in the latest pair of socks. I like your reference to Corporal and Spiritual works of Mercy. It was how I was raised too and is always in the back of my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I see I'm not the only one who recognized her on the Great British Bake-Off! It is good work you do. You know the recipients of your socks feel blessed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems that GBBO was big, maybe still is, I never saw it, just references to it.

      Delete
  7. We will check out the Vox Tox. Did you know she also voiced Tigger in a recording of Winnie the Pooh and The House at Pooh Corner?

    ReplyDelete
  8. The original Tigger? The real Tigger is the one with the blog, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You don’t need to be religious to be a nice person. And your a nice person to knit all those socks for the homeless.
    I still haven’t tried knitting one yet. I’m waiting to get help from the knitting ladies at our yarn group. Hopefully I too will be able to knit them quickly soon and add to our charity boxes that we send out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you do get into it. It seems that socks are harder to come by than hats and scarves, probably because people are less used to making them. But with a simple pattern, you should be away with them soon.

      Delete
  10. Sandi Toksvig is one of my favourite people. You are also good people for knitting all those socks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. ooh, I've never heard of VoxTox. I shall have to look for it. Yes, socks are always needed we find too. Trench foot is a very real danger.

    ReplyDelete
  12. True about socks. People with poor health and no housing run great risks with vital foot care. It makes a big difference to have quality comfortable socks. I make them with special attention to no seams or bumps, stretchy cuffs for easy on and off, all that.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm fascinated with the way you're doing socks. Sure does away with the Second Sock Syndrome' (as I hang my head in shame over the fact that I have a case of that right now). Like others I've never heard of VoxTox so will have to investigate it further.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Kudos to you for doing something positive.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!