Wednesday, October 19, 2022

Friends in art and pumpkin bread

Cleaners here yesterday, so I went off to do errands and stop in at the library. This is our own township library, not the one where I meet my knitting friends. 

I checked on the jigsaw puzzle lending area


All 500 pieces, about my speed. The lending period is three weeks though. I'm still only about two thirds through my parrot puzzle, after more like three months. 

But if I ever finish it and establish there are no missing pieces, I might donate it to the collection.

While I was there I visited the art gallery. Not being too humble about this -- I founded it, got the library director to join in, pushing for it back when this current library was being designed and built. 

I'd already established a commitment for the previous building that there would always be local art exhibits of serious artists, though the building was completed under a previous director and hadn't included a provision for art.

At that time I founded the artists group, which has undergone various forms and sizes and continues though I'm just a supporter now, encouraging today's exhibitors but not being active in the group.

I also wrote all the protocols for exhibiting, to avert future issues. These were familiar to me as a long time exhibitor and curator of art shows, and juried participant, but unfamiliar to the library director.  Anyone may apply to exhibit, not just the members of the artists group.

We established the art chat instead of an opening, so the artist could talk about their work, rather than just the usual food event where the art's lucky if anyone looks at it. 

That was over 25 years ago and I love to see how it still flourishes, largely because there's a gallery so no question of not using it, as well as the energy of local artists. Back when I had energy and exhibited, it was my home gallery and I was invited to do an annual solo show in whatever medium I was working in at the time.

Anyway the current exhibit is about art and peace, arrived at by consensus of the group, and I picked just my favorites from a strong show of 23 works,  to show you. As you see, a locally based self selecting unjuried group is producing some good work.


Located in the gallery in this building



One side 

Other side! Art Lee is a wonderful person, playful artist, good gardener and great supporter of other artists. I'm pretty sure I've seen him wearing this hat and shirt.


Nelly Kouzmina works in nuno felting which is how this work was made, fibers felted onto a background to create the image. 


These giclee prints by Terrance Cummings, are a way of showing how the dove, symbol of peace, can emerge from the helmet, symbol of war. 


Prayer flags in burlap with prayers and beliefs silk-screened on, by Mousumi Banerjee


Vimala Arunachalam's small oil, 5"x7" is also the header for the show statement. It depicts a first time grandfather holding the hand of his newborn grandchild.


Collage art by Elaine Rosenberg showing contrasts in color and form between anxiety and tranquillity, art bringing peace. 

Back home, the pumpkin wildly decorating the front step, came in because frost was expected last night 

So I cooked it and used half the oulp to make a pumpkin walnut loaf





I used the banana bread recipe, with one cup pumpkin replacing one cup banana pulp 

And since I do like yogurt cream cheese, I made a bit, just drained overnight in the fridge



Here's the resulting cheese, with whey for future soup making.

And

Here's breakfast, slice of seasonal pumpkin bread with a spread of yogurt cheese. I may go back for seconds.

Yesterday was also Textiles and Tea, but it would be blog overload to add that now. Also I wanted to tell some bird stories from petcare days, real avian characters. Another day!

Meanwhile here's what I like to remember


Happy day everyone! 


Photo AC 


13 comments:

  1. Yes, it is so important to have small and accessible gallery space for local artists! A couple of our libraries have such space too, also one of our hospitals. And one big recreation centre that I can think of. I always enjoy looking at local art when I find it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish our art gallery was like the one you told us about. Ours is far too snobbish and look down their noses at regular artists and even their 'members only' art shows are beyond the reach and interest of the normal person. It's nice that we have a gallery but it would be good if they would sometimes cater to the starving artistic crowd. One has to pay a large fee to even be a member. No chance of there being any displays put on in the library because the 'real' art gallery is in the same building and would look upon that as being competition.
    The two pumpkins (not pie pumpkins) that we bought at the farmers market on the weekend have added up to TONS of pumpkin puree in our freezer. Resident Chef definitely over estimated our needs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are truly a renaissance woman! I have to look into yoghurt cream cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Back when we were in the early days of our etched glass studio and a friend his stained glass studio we got an opportunity to exhibit in an open space in a bank lobby. We thought it would sound more impressive if it was put on by a 'group' so we formed the Houston Glass Artists Association, membership of three. Soon though we opened it up to all the glass artists in the city and used it to promote glass art and artists and put on exhibitions and had meetings. After the first several years people started to grumble that our friend and us were controlling the thing and so we let them pick a new 'board' and then the stained glass studios who sold supplies (as opposed to single artist studios) to the artists kind of took over and we three eventually dropped out. Not because we were no longer in charge but because the focus of the group changed. Hadn't thought about this in a long time but your post brought up the memory.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have influenced so many people for the good in your life. And you still do!
    I really like some of those works. I think my favorite is the felted one. That is such an interesting use of felting.
    And now you have influenced me to want to make some banana bread! I DO NOT NEED BANANA BREAD! But thank you, anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Some beautiful art And what a great legacy to leave behind.
    Future artists. Will love you for it

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think founding that group was a notable accomplishment. And it has lasted too, which isn't always the case.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So many interesting items in this post, Boud. I especially enjoyed reading about the art group you initiated. Such beautiful work going on so many years later. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Our little, very local library, holds an exhibit by local artists annually I have been the juror once or twice.
    I was so impressed when I scrolled down to the prayer flags in your current exhibit. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How great to have that space for local artists. I love that little meme about things we can control and things we can't!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Steve that meme is one I really try to remember when I'm trying to remake the world around me!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a wonderful legacy - and great thing to have done, founding an art gallery. And what talented artists you have locally.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The gallery exhibit at your library was interesting and varied. How wonderful that the initiative you started had continued. Out library also has a monthly artists exhibit in a lower gallery. It usually consists of art that can be hung on the walls without any freestanding art.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!