Friday, October 14, 2022

Socks released, and other treats

 Yesterday was derma checkup, the last of the current doctor appointments which I've felt plagued by this year. Great news. No problem, and I'm off the six monthly visit, back to one year.  Exhaling now.  

She also listened to the issue of skin tenderness and shoulder stuff, said only a couple of benign skin-related things which she promptly fired at with her laser gun. So I conclude that the shoulder complaint is probably repetitive stress and the rest from knitting seems to have been a good move .

I appear to be a well old thing, and decided to celebrate with



Which I refer to as Health Bar. Mental health, that is.

And the socks are now living independently



The color looks different against the white background. They're a natural cream color.  I did shortrow heels rather than the pointed ones in the pattern.

Today I'm back to the Sock Ministry and maybe I'll do a blend of the pattern and my own joined idea, start with a toe, knit the heels on the way as usual, but do the separation point at the cuffs, and finish with the second toe. That way I'll have shortrow toes and heels, my preference for comfort for the recipients. 

I have some fleecy fabric ready to make pants with as soon as I get it together, just based on current pants, except I'll insert pockets. These are for me though.

Then I watched Sally Pointer making a hair rinse for her curly dry hair. Curly hair is usually dry, and I decided to do likewise. 

I don't have the fresh rosemary, chamomile, and lavender she used, so I used my essential oils, and a chamomile tea bag, with a few drops of tea tree oil. I did have apple cider vinegar, so I filled it up with that. 


Ready for use in a few days, a couple of teaspoons in a cup of warm water, poured over, left in the hair. We'll see if this helps with the dryness once the heating season starts.

This blog is turning into a helpful hints corner. What next, quizzes on the Five Things You're Doing Wrong with Your Herbaceous Border, or Ten Ways to be a Good Person? 

While we're down that rabbit hole, here's a puzzle 

H - - - y - - - b.   Fill in the blanks.

And here's a lovely beaded work from the collection of the Textile Museum of George Washington U.

It's enough to get a person beading again.

It looks as if Russia was handed its head at the UN this week, huge majority voting to disapprove the attempt to annex parts of Ukraine.

And I found an artwork that echoes the imagery of the Ukraine flag, so here it is

Happy day everyone, and we now know for certain, after the January Capitol attack video, that taking over a panicked Congress keeping them together safe and and resilient under fire, is all in a day's work to someone who raised five kids. Nancy Pelosi, G.O.A.T.




19 comments:

  1. well earned treat. Glad all is well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heloise's Helpful Hints, lol! I didn't realize that curly hair is often dry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy days when all of the medical appointments are over for the year! Hurray! You should probably have a dish of ice cream every night- didn't the doctor worry a bit that you are losing weight?
    I love your remark about Nancy Pelosi. So very true.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do have another check-in with my regular doctor in November but I'm not as concerned there. It's about weight and as you say, adding in ice cream and health bars may help there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My round of appointments is coming up...teeth cleaning, afib follow up, annual and I need to make an appointment with the dermatologist.

    Read something today that when Nancy heard Trump wanted to go to the Capitol, the one place the President cannot go except by invitation, she essentially said I hope he does, I'll punch him in the face, I'll go to jail but I'll be happy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well it's a darn good life
    And it's kinda funny
    How the Lord made the bee
    And the bee made the honey
    And the honeybee lookin' for a home
    And they called it h - - - y - - - b

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a great clue filled response!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A Health bar and ice cream is a good prescription. I like the end product but I have no idea what you are talking about in making the socks. I think doing a series on how I can be a better person in 10 easy steps is a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nobody said it would be easy, Sandra!

    I like how everyone's taking to the renaming of the Heath bar! Wonder why that is..

    ReplyDelete
  10. Heath bars! I haven't had one in ages. Was my treat of choice when I was a teenager.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great news on no more medical appointments for six months.
    I’m in the middle of them prodding and poking so I totally get it.
    The health treat looks yummy
    I’m still waiting to start the socks. I want to be with someone who knows knitting before I start.
    I haven’t been to group as all my appointments have been on a Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hope you do knit socks. They're very satisfying.
    Alas I only have six months off from one of my doctors. Other stuff in November. But I'll take it anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nancy was impressive, that’s for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  14. F has been following these socks with interest never having knitted socks. Maybe sock wool had got better but the handknitted socks of her youth always wore out quickly and were in constant need of darning (which her mum made her get good at from an early age). Darned socks were uncomfortable.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awesome. Enjoy that treat and the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's possible Fs youth entailed yarn without the sock purposed design, usually involving nylon reinforcement. People used sweater type yarn which didn't stand up to wear. My own socks, if I use sock yarn, tend to hold up pretty well.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yay for kicking all those dreaded medical appointment to the curb! Dental appt is scheduled for us sometime in November and I'm dreading it. Haven't had my teeth cleaned in over two years (I'm looking at YOU covid!!) so I imagine it will be a large bill by the time we're done.
    Re the chocolate/ice cream prescription - go for it! I'd be tempted to melt the chocolate tho' and pour it over top of the ice cream.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!