Friday, May 15, 2020

Yesterday continued, there's more!

After the excitement of the morning's thrills and spills, I sat out to read, and woke up a while later, my audiobook considerably further on in the plot, woke up.

And realized I had nothing to go with a cup of tea. No cake or breadlike food. So I traipsed to the kitchen to study my Big Binder Full of Recipes. And found one cut from my ancient, supposedly Amish but I doubt it, book which didn't have much of interest but a couple of items, seen here. When I keep the actual good recipes from any cookbook it's surprising how few there are, but where was I?

 The book was a fairly amateurish spiral bound deal, maybe a fundraiser, which is probably why I owned it, and though some ideas were good, the tomato lemon jam definitely a hill to die on, they kept forgetting to list the ingredients.

 Only detective work as you embark on the recipe shows that they're telling you to mix in items they never listed --add the milk in three waves, wait, what milk, how much, and so on. I added notes to complete the recipe, guessing a bit, and did come out fine. I kept it, so it must have.

So with the notes, here's lemon nut bread, using butter, not shortening.




Finally while it baked, tea with the mail. One of the best mail days evah.









 One thank you note from my post office people, written by favorite carrier, responding to -- a thank you card I'd put in the outgoing mail slot! It evidently went over well. Now, do I thank them for thanking me for thanking them? This could go on.

Then, a soft envelope, expecting the seeds a friend had promised,and found not only the seeds she'd saved to share, but CASHMERE!  The raw fiber, combed from a goat, very likely the one whose portrait you see. Just a present to play with. About which more when I write it up at https://beautifulmetaphor.blogspot.com.   Anon.

Then excellent Zoom lecture via Princeton Art museum, all women, presenting on Life magazine women photographers and the  policy toward women by that testosterone driven publication during and after world war II. I think it's recorded so you might be able to find it on their website.

Mad rush to get supper in the interval between the end of the lecture and the start of my centering prayer group, what's all this free time and boredom i hear about, not much around here.

The quiet friendly meditation was just the thing after a fraught day. But technology was not yet finished with your humble blogger. Near the end of the quiet time, my tablet suddenly shut down and started a reboot. The last word, I suppose. The high tech equivalent of flouncing away.

And so, as Pepys would say, to bed.




7 comments:

  1. You remind me that in all honesty, there is no reason to be bored. Your bread looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Life truly is what we make it. Those of us who are healthy at least mentally so.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is always something to occupy our time! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is actually a sample from three goats - a variety pack :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I started handling it I realized the white fibers were separate, and wondered that.

      Delete
  5. It's always nice when you have a good mail day. We had a packet of lettuce seeds unexpectedly arrive in our post box the other day and Resident Chef was absolutely delighted. I'm afraid I know where that cookbook would end up if I were the cook. I need explicit directions and accurate ingredients or I'm sunk.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!