Wednesday, May 6, 2020

Sparrowgrass cream soup

I woke up this morning,saw the chilly rainy weather, not getting above the 50's f, and decided I might as well make soup today. I'd put the asparagus in the freezer in case I didn't feel like using it right away.

So here's the story. I looked up a couple of recipes and thought they were a bit like workbooks, full of busywork that didn't seem strictly necessary. So I'm sure you assume I did it my way..




Anyway, here's a couple of handfuls of asparagus, most of a large onion, the only seasoning necessary salt and fresh ground black pepper.

 This is a delicate flavor, no need for a lot of spices. I did use chicken broth, well, one little packet of chicken. Turned out the other box I had was beef, which I must have picked up by accident, but oh well.




I made a roux in a separate small pan, usual butter and flour, ending with cup of warm milk whisked in to complete it. That I left to one side keeping warm till the main action was complete.


Back at the soup pot, onions, only roughly chopped, no need to get carried away, they'll be blended soon anyway, asparagus snapped a bit, oil and butter,  half cup of broth, cook the lot.

 If your asparagus is farm fresh, this will be about five minutes, tops. Unlike the recipes which said 12-14, using old stuff maybe.


Then stick blend. Stop to wipe soup off glasses, note to tip pot further away from self. Then add in the rest of the broth, cook a bit, then the warm roux mixture. About ten minutes more over gentle heat will do it.




I don't add cream, but I did swirl a spoonful of plain yogurt into this right before diving in. It was, well, it was very good. Try it. It's really worth doing.

I got four helpings from this, each one cup, 8 fl.oz. or floz I like to say. My soup ladle, just measured it now after years of meaning to, is half a cup.

I usually make enough soup for six helpings, but I think this worked better in a smaller batch. I have enough stems frozen to do another batch some time.

I freeze soup in single helpings, just enough for one. In the olden days when Handsome Son came to dinner, I'd just take out enough containers. One for me, three for him, he likes the soup around here.

A couple of days ago, to turn to a sadder tale, I wasn't in the mood to make a cake but I fancied a little something. And we will draw a veil over the YouTube squeaky lady who explained how this was a chocolate cake needing no baking, no pans, no ability either.

 It was baked in the microwave. In a container. And took approximately three times as long as she said, might as well have made a real cake. And it's almost edible. If you're desperate for a cakelike object with your tea. Identity witheld to protect the guilty.

 No pictures, I'm protecting you from the science fiction thing trying to escape from the dish. She had put in so many disclaimers I should have guessed it was a dud.

 And we will never know how many iterations it took to yield that very nice cake she cut into enticingly. Or maybe she ran to the bakery in desperation, facing a deadline.

But as my Uncle George would have said, this cake's awful, I'll be glad when I've had enough!

9 comments:

  1. Uncle George was a clever man! I know someone with his taste.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that soup. I just ate a very large supper and yet, my mouth waters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really worth making. You know how sometimes a recipe comes out juuuust right? Goldilocks Soup.

      Delete
  3. This post was pretty entertaining, Liz. I'm slightly intrigued to try adding dollop of plain yogurt next time I heat up some Leek Soup I have in the freezer (in place of cream). Do you think that would be good? I know you're going to say "Try it!" I'll try a small portion first.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, test it first and see if it suits your taste. You've got my number!

      Delete
  4. Thank you for this recipe. It sounds delicious and on my to-make list now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great. I know you grow a lot of vegetables, and I wonder if you have an asparagus bed. Asparagus growd like mad year after year once it gets established. It's only expensive because it's a stoop labor crop, has to be individually hand picked, stem by stem. I see the local farm family out early on asparagus mornings all picking in a group.

      Delete
  5. I grew up with asparagus being called 'spare-grass', probably because we ate it sparingly because we never had a huge crop. As for the cake recipe, it would have been anointed with the letters 'NDG" in our cookbook. NDG standing for 'no damn good'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I have a much simpler recipe, failsafe, and if I hadn't been too lazy to do it, I'd have been better off. YouTube is very uneven that way. The pizza dough was very good, equally simple, different cook though. This "cake" just, no!

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!