Monday, May 25, 2020

Planting new life, to honor Memorial Day

It's the holiday to honor war dead, for readers from other countries, for whom it may not be familiar.  We have a pathetic apology for leadership in the White House right now. But we still have plenty of people with principles and courage, doing their best to seize back our levers of power.

Meanwhile, still under isolation, we're marking the day in different ways.

Mine is to honor life, otherwise what were our forces fighting for? And today it took the form of planting seeds.





Thai basil, descended from the plant an Indian friend gave me years ago when they moved away, and I've grown it and saved seeds every year since. Italian basil likewise from saved seed. One more if my donated squash seeds, to see how it compares with the outdoor start. Roma tomatoes, from the collection of a friend who died and whose seed collection I've shared around, to people with real space for gardening. Roma's my favorite of all tomatoes, makes great sauce and jam.




So, the kitchen is more populated than ever, and this is good light,  also a place where I will be sure and see how they do. And the pots are full of memories.

I hope you have a good day.


4 comments:

  1. I agree- planting life is a fitting tribute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a great way to remember their sacrifice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like growing things from seed and have grown several trees along with a variety of unusual herbs. Myself - I put the seeded peat pots into large ziploc bags until they sprout and put out their second set of leaves. Works pretty well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Saving seeds from year to year is the best - and the memories that accompany these are precious I know. The tomatoes currently growing on our balcony came from one little tomato from our #2 sons garden when we visited last fall. Hoping for a good production!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!