Wednesday, May 20, 2020

Updates and new capers

Update on the HASfit  workouts: I'm faithfully doing them every three days, and picking different ones each time, to stay interested. At first I could only do the weight related reps for a limited number. And now I can do the whole workout just as shown. Weights no problem. So that's an advance in strength and stamina. Just to encourage anyone who's trying them.

And that yogurt pizza dough I made recently and froze part of as a kit? It thawed fine, tasted as good. So a second pizza worked.

And I wanted to see if it would be good for tarts, and to use my rarely used muffin pan. So I made a batch but this time used whole milk yogurt, and it was light-years easier to handle than the fatfree which was all I had in the house last time. And this time I refrigerated it while I had lunch, that soup in the background. Tomato, kidney bean, macaroni


I had no fruit for making jam, wondering what to make tarts with exactly, and thought, aha, nuts! Looked up recipes for caramel nut tarts. They all involved a tart tin which I don't have and anyway I really fancied the individual tarts. So I went ahead, halved the baking times as a guess, which worked. You prebake at 375f, then fill, then bake again at 400f.




Whole yogurt instead of cream, into the caramelized sugar, which took a lot longer than the 10 minutes in the recipe to turn color. Into it went the yogurt, honey (local, raw), butter, vanilla. They did warn that when the cream/ yogurt was added there would be a big reaction, and there was, but I was standing back. Then all the nuts, I had cashew and walnuts, but I expect it could be any old nuts, and spooned it into the tarts. 20 minutes at 400f and done.

No pictures of the caramel making, needed all focus on the boiling sugar and safe addition of other ingredients.



The pastry made exactly 12 tarts, using my crumpet tin as a cutter.

Interestingly, despite the sugar, this is quite a healthy dessert, what with yogurt and nuts and an absence of salt. Anyway that's my story. But I also refer to Heath Bars as Health Bars, so there's that.

11 comments:

  1. Those tarts look devine!
    I'm beginning to suspect the source of why I have a desire to bake...reading blogs. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're out of the pans now and looking pretty good on the rack. I tested one with my pot of tea. Not too sweet, more nut than sugar. I think handsome Son will like these.

      I agree that seeing pictures of other people's kitchens does catch my attention!

      Delete
  2. They surely look good. I would imagine that cooking with yogurt is much like cooking with buttermilk which is something I do frequently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, similar action. I often sub yogurt for cream. And I make cream cheese from it. Paneer. Which reminds me to do that before it's all gone on other things

      Delete
  3. The tarts look delicious! I rarely cook with yogourt but may start.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I forgot to note that the tarts used only half of the caramel mixture, so the extra is now in the freezer until I need it. A bonus.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yum!

    On a similar vein - when you make brown sugar, what is your white sugar/molasses ratio?

    And congratulations on HASfit progress!

    Cheers,
    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just add a tisp to the sugar, stir and see if it looks right! Not much molasses. Not very scientific either!

      Delete
  6. We have kefir on the go all the time and it gets used whenever sour cream or buttermilk/yogurt is required. Next 'up' on our list of seeing what happens is for me to collect the sourdough from my friend (looking after their house AND babysitting her sourdough while they're away) and see what Resident Chef can do with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sourdough is one of the few items I can't handle. I had it a couple of times in San Francisco, famous bakery stuff, excellent restaurant etc. Each time my entire face, mainly teeth, started an agonizing tingle that I still don't like to think about. Like a continuous electric shock. I guess it's an allergy. So I've been low-key on all the sourdough goings-on I've been hearing about.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!