Tuesday, May 5, 2020

Asparagus is in!

Over as soon as they opened. Several other cars there already when I arrived. When the day's crop is gone, it's over till the next lot is ready. Very slow growing this cold season. Could be a day or two. So people who know that are prompt.



Picked this morning from the field next to the trees you see.  All the precautions in place. Everyone masked, polite, friendly.


And now for a lovely dish of steamed sparrowgrass with lemon butter sauce. No need to get more fancy. This is Jersey Fresh!



It's a nice change from the excitement of the weekend. It wasn't all sitting on the patio. There was a urgent call late Saturday from tenant about sparks shooting out of the wall in the laundry area. We both feared an electrical fire, and he had had the presence of mind to spring for the breaker box and turn the circuit to the washer and dryer off.

Then various tests and consultations with Mike and my neighbor over Saturday and Sunday, all done by text and phone, indicated that probably the dryer was shorting out, not the circuit.

Which means replacing it. Which may be very tricky. It's wall mounted in an alcove, water heater one side, wall the other, no floor space because door. It's small and the appliance people who usually save me are telling me dryers like this don't exist, where did I get the idea etc. I sent pix, model info etc. Silence now.

I'm pursuing this with other suppliers but they usually have nothing this small, that's how I ended up with the current supplier, who did great detective work when I needed to replace the washer.

 I think that man has left, though. Maybe I drove him out! So tenant will be getting his clothes dried by his mother, that would be me, until, and if ever, we get a solution.

Really didn't need this added stress. I thought I was doing okay up to now. Until neighbor told me of two close friends who died this week of the virus. And doctors now think his sister in law who died in February, probably had it too, not detected.

So this is what's up. Where I live is very much affected.

But I'll still steam the asparagus. And maybe make soup, too.

10 comments:

  1. I guess before this is over (will it ever be over?) we will all have been personally affected by this virus and not just in the way we are having to live now. In the meantime, could there be anything more joyful than the first asparagus of spring? And that should be celebrated and enjoyed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes to that! All the people I saw seemed very cheerful about their first spring vegetables from the farm.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. Appliances can be such a problem when it comes to repairs or replacement. I wish you continued good health.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I keep remembering that I have that to be thankful for each day.

      Delete
  3. I wonder about finding a dryer made for mobile homes or campers? Would one of those fit? A bad time for such a headache.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The dryer exists. Getting it is the problem!

      Delete
  4. Appliance problems are annoying in normal times, in these weird days - 100x worse. However the asparagus looks very good - just a little salt and butter - yum.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely to have fresh asparagus - one of the best tastes of spring and even better when it's farm fresh. So sorry about the dryer issues - not easy to fix during these times unfortunately. Sez I, as there's laundry currently drip drying in our bathroom (we bought a second shower curtain tension rod and it hangs over the tub so the drips don't run onto the floor...where there's a will, there's a way!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the best since I grew my own. Only a couple of miles from my old garden, same soil.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!