Sunday, May 24, 2020

There's also non-food

Just to show I don't think exclusively about food, I've got some recommendations of things to watch and read.

For years I never mentioned food in here, figuring nobody would be interested, I'm not some famous chef whose name sells high end equipment, just a person who likes to eat well, nothing special.

 And for a long time I used this,  originally general purpose, blog as a place for friends all over the globe to check in as Handsome Partner's health deteriorated until they finally got to follow along our path through home hospice till his death, then the online memorial I organized. This saved them calling when I needed to keep the line open for doctors, nurses, physios, and saved me  from giving out the same bulletins over and over.

 I got very grateful notes and emails from people who said that usually people are excluded from hospice if they're not family, and it was comforting to be allowed to know more. I never showed him, to preserve his privacy, after hospice was declared, showed what he could see instead.

 But before that, I would post pictures of him looking at books and letters from blogistas, and enjoying having the Dollivers around, and the cats, and sitting out with me on the patio in good weather.. He enjoyed our meals till very late in his life, though I had to be inventive to make food he could navigate as a quadriplegic with very limited use of his hands. The goal was good food, presented to be eaten with a fork or spoon,  one handed, but still adult meals.

Then once in here, I mentioned something I'd cooked and I was surprised at the response. People did like it. I still don't teach in here, or make very specific suggestions, just talk about what I've done, and include the spills along with the thrills. So it's more fun knowing that people enjoy.

I'm really a desert island person: I'd make art, grow things, cook, on a desert (or dessert!) island, anyway. It's not about an audience. But appreciative readers are definitely welcome. Especially people who suddenly pop up and say, oh, I just thought I'd mention I've been reading in here for years!  I have no way of knowing who follows via anything other than the follower list on blogger. But there are several other ways of following which don't refer back to me.

So thank you all.

Now, what I've been reading.

I invested in the Kindle complete and very funny, works of E.M.Delafield, all the Provincial Lady books, also finally started reading Cider with Rosie, then installed Laurie Lee's whole autobiography, three volumes. And you see Basho and Jane Austen there in my permanent  holdings, says she grandly. All very much worth reading.



And I found Monty Don much more interesting and less irritating in his series now on YouTube, on the Secret History of British Gardens, than in  his gardening series. He's still a bit over the top and spraying superlatives all over, but the production is high end, and he's properly miked.

  It's a four part series, one episode per century of gardening history, architecture, design, and plant discovery, starting in the 17th century.  Unfortunately too late to cover the best of them all, Cecil, Elizabeth the first's minister, adviser and great garden designer, who brought Tradescant, great plant explorer  and propagator, into his circle. Tradescant already had a flourishing career, but Cecil's nod didn't hurt. Anyway, this series is good stuff.





Then there's the vlogging couple who do videos on castles in Wales, much less sophisticated, one camera, couple of handheld devices, but very good, because they're engaging people, not at all acting for the camera, just being friends showing you interesting buildings and their history. I follow their YouTube channel Mostly Castles.




So that's some of what I'm doing.

15 comments:

  1. Thank you for the video series!
    Thoughtful post.
    I'm fairly new to your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, very welcome too! I like your different way of looking at life.

      Delete
  2. I am new to your blog and enjoying the variety!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. A few years ago I asked readers would they like me to open different sections in this blog, for different subject matter, but the general response was no, I like not knowing what's happening next!

      I do stay on topic in my art blog, though there's less material now, with no exhibit opportunities at the moment, no meetings in person and no exchanges of materials. But I live in hopes.

      Delete
  3. I appreciated reading about your blogging history, Liz. I don't even remember how I found you recently, but I do enjoy the variety of things you share. I think I might especially like the Mostly Castles couple. Going to go check them out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be great. I like them very much, very unaffected, untheatrical, just good content.

      Delete
    2. Update: Except for the most recent one (uploaded just a day or so ago) I have watched the videos these two have produced so far. I hope they keep this up. They are entertaining and educational. Thanks for pointing them out, Liz.

      Delete
  4. I learn something from every post, food-related (yum!) or not. Love your spunk! And your creativity! And your literary suggestions! And your fabulous plant rescues! And I learned a lot, years after the fact, about caretaking when I read your and HP's sojourn in his last years. I, too, appreciated the honesty with which you shared that part. Chop wood, carry water, and take time for joy. Good words for today, too.

    Cheers,
    Chris from Boise

    PS Am enjoying the cashmere experiments on Art, The Beautiful Metaphor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Yes, time for joy is good to remember especially today. Live well to honor our dead.

      Delete
  5. I've seen the Secret History of British Gardens series on our PBS channel and loved it. Have you seen the Escape to the Chateau series. It went on for some time but was entertaining in a way:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Read Laurie Lee's trilogy about 3 years ago and was astonished by his mastery of metaphor and simile. I thought Cider With Rosie the most lyrical of the three, but the other two pull you along with a stronger narrative.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, his torrents of observation are wonderful writing. I'd known of him for years, and just never read him. Now catching up. Thanks for coming in!

      Delete
  7. I haven't tried Kindle because I know myself well enough that despite my best intentions to work throughout listening to a book my gnat-ish attention span would soon be sucked into the book to the detriment of my work. Was rather thinking that I would be forced to explore it on behalf of Resident Chef who has read pretty much every book in our house during this isolation thing. Luckily got a notice today that our library is opening for curb side pickups next week (and promising a 72 hour quarantine on all books before reissue. Needless to say there will be a further 72 hour time out once we get them home, just to be safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kindle is ebooks, not audiobooks, so I have to either read or make, need to choose. But I do read just to keep in the habit!

      I've been gradually getting my favorites in Kindle form because I can change the font size, always a good thing. I can even change the font style.

      I like these aspects because type size and style are important ways in which I can or can't read a book. I've had to give up on library books with fonts I had trouble with.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!