Saturday, May 23, 2020

Planting for the squash harvest

Nice gentle rain today, warmish, so I decided to celebrate the holiday with the first squash planting. Candy roaster squash courtesy of kind friend who saved and gave away seeds.   Just a few of them in this pot.

I can't safely put them in the ground in the small amount of unoccupied space I have, because the landscapers will weed whack them off as soon as look at them. And putting them in an unprotected pot (5qts fills this pot, in case you wondered how far 5qts goes, answer: not as far as you hope) is an invitation to squirrels to plunge in and destroy everything.



Soooo here's the result. Trying to get string around and tied when the screening kept leaping up was one of those I could use a third hand kind of things. So clothes pins first, pinning to the rim, then string.


N


 We'll see how this works.




 The place I set it is where another pot used to be, so the ground is free of other plants. The roots will go through the bottom of the pot, the vine will sprawl around and climb the fence. At least that's the plan. I may add add duct tape. I bet Monty Don doesn't have to use duct tape, but we won't mention it.



And as long as we're nosing about, here's a shot of most of my outside storage closet. You can see the floor because at the moment my stepladder and big broom are next door, conscripted into the Great House Painting. The deal is that neighbors can borrow anything in here as long as I know where it is, and bring it back once the job's done. On the left, a bit out of range, is a crate of spades and hoes and rakes.

And now that I've been laboring outside in the rain, it is stopping and sunshine is breaking through. 'twas ever thus.

9 comments:

  1. Perhaps I should explain that the screening is only in place long enough to let the seeds gerninate. Once they need overhead space, I'll remove it. I did add duct tape..

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's always fun to plant and watch things grow. We used to have a huge garden when my husband was alive. Gophers were a big problem for the squash, they seemed to love squash more than anything else.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It will soon be time to plant my garden for the year. We are still having frost at night though so it will be a few weeks yet. I have never grown squash.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh a squash vine will look so pretty growing out of that pot. I think the cleverest thing is you thinking of the root making its way through the hole in the pot into the ground. Genius. I hope it works!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always think it would be useful to have the Cowardly Lion's tail. Fingers crossed your squash grows well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do a similar thing with seedlings - put a net cover over them. Otherwise, those pesky squirrels will pull the plants out and put in a pecan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Around here they plant acorns everywhere. I'm pulling out little oak trees regularly.

      Delete
  7. Trying to thwart squirrels can be a full-time job (over-enthusiastic weed whackers too). Alas no squash can be grown on our teeny little balcony but not for lack of wishful thinking!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!