Tuesday, May 12, 2020

Artisanal pizza

So I wrote a long post about the pizza caper that happened today, complete with pix, comments, valuable historical insights, priceless bon mots, and after 45 minutes' labor, my tired dothery finger jerked down and hit delete. Which it did. All except the title.

So after some loudly expressed dismay, I remembered my mantra: it's a chance to do it better.

So here we are. I found a recipe using yogurt and flour for pizza dough. They used self raising. The one time I tried it, i found it too salty. So here I used ap and subbed half a tisp salt and baking soda, works fine.

It's delicate dough, wants to stick and tear, so it looks a bit artisanal. And there's enough for two small pizzas, one to cook on top of the stove, one in the oven.

I had the idea with no shopping possible, so here's the cast of characters, some invention required

Once you've mixed and kneaded and rolled and persuaded the dough into the sizzling oiled cast iron, I used some spicy oil left from another recipe, good time for it

Then you flip it once browned, which is no time at all


Add the toppings, clap on a lid, and in a couple more minutes you're done.

 And I have a pizza kit for using the other half of the doings, dough wrapped in plastic bag


And the debris YouTube doesn't want you to know about.. there's also the floury surface I made the pastry on.  For a "quick" meal, this certainly created some cleanup.


I'll report back on the number of stars it gets.

9 comments:

  1. I am so tired of the cooking and clean up these days. Hope it was worth the work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was worth the learning, certainly. And it was at least as good as the ones you buy.

      Delete
  2. That looks so good. And you just reminded me I wanted to put my frozen, bought veggie pizza in the oven. I can cook some things, but am not good enough to try a homemade pizza.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's easier than you might think. I think I'll make and freeze dough, rolled to size, so I can assemble the toppings and easily have pizza in future.

      I planned to sample it for supper and ended up demolishing the whole thing.

      Delete
  3. Now that it seems to have worked, here are the toppings I used: mixture of ketchup and Thai red curry sauce, for the tomato bit, cheddar and grana padano cheeses, anchovy paste dotted about, capers flung around, asparagus tips, mushrooms, I think that's the lot. So I guess it was a veggie pizza. Oh wait, anchovy paste is fish.

    Anyway I'll do it again. Cleanup is a pain. But if the pastry is done separately from the cooking with toppings, less so.

    ReplyDelete
  4. For the floury mess--I use a large cookie sheet when making biscuits and scones. That way I can just take all the mess to the sink and wash it up. I don't know if that would work for this recipe, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was joking really. My dough scrapers make short work of the flour on the butcher block top I work on. It's a rolling island which I can trundle to the sink. One of the best things I ever found, on a friend's tip, at the dumpster.

      Delete
  5. One more reason to covet a cast iron pan! Then I put the brakes on THAT idea because I remember the glass top stoves and heavy pans are not a good plan. We brought our stove with us when we moved here but if something happens to it we'll be forced to take the ones that are issued by the building management. Small, apartment-sized, AND back to the old-fashioned coil burners which we hate. Needless to say any possibility of dropping anything on our glass top is not not a place we want to go. Really would like to try that skillet pizza though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love my stove and the fact we have gas in this development. Heating, dryer, stove, all economical gas driven. And the burners are sturdy enough for my favorite cast iron. One of the best buys I ever made. Three sizes of skillet, one square pan I use for baking. I like being able to start food on top of the stove, finish it in the oven. And for pizza it's great. It needs a higher temp than domestic ovens can do, so on top of the stove works, where you can get it really sizzling hot.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!