Tuesday, May 19, 2020

A bit fraught, but bravely smiling through..

The last couple of days have been, well, reminders of how I'm a helpless prawn of fate, but so brave and plucky, and my arm is getting tired from all this back patting.

I had an appointment at the auto dealership for today to get my temporary tags replaced and State inspection decal attached and generally get legal. There had already been a 60-day grace period added to the statutory two weeks for newly purchased cars, which was almost up. Despite nervousness and multiple instructions from handsome Son to remember my mask and gloves, and walk about outside while waiting, I was all set with all dox.  Then suddenly the motor vehicle folks announced on Twitter yesterday another 60 day grace period. Whereupon I canceled my next day's appointment, figuring probably safer in July, if hotter, and I'll have located the AC by then.

Mentioned this to handsome Son last evening as he delivered groceries in exchange for dried and folded laundry, still no lead on a dryer. And he said, oh I spoke with them today about my inspection and they said the State is out of decals. The vital thing you need officially on the windshield to show you're legal. Just as well I canceled. Evidently the State is not printing decals, probably because all the nondealer inspection stations are now covid test sites, I guess they thought no need. Never mind the thousands of other locations to get inspections, I guess. But it might explain the additional grace period.

Moved my routine doctor appointment from Wednesday to late June, seeing no reason to check in and tell her I'm perfectly fine, when she can't do any of the tests and measurements and prodding and  what's the point. Her nurse agreed but insisted If That Changes Call Us. Which I undertook to do.

So far so good. I thought fine, I'll use the time saved on these trips  to open the outside faucets  for the season and set up the hose and water the thirsty plants. Spent an exciting time finding and getting the hose screwed on to the faucet outside. Then I trotted upstairs to turn on the shut-off to that line, kept off in winter. Did I mention that the builders put this shut off behind the water heater in the back of a tight closet, in the dark, upstairs?

 And first it wouldn't turn, long time since I shut it. Then all of a sudden it swung open, I could hear water starting down the line and next it appeared on me, the wall and the floor. Quickly forced it shut again, mercifully it stayed shut and I called  Greg the plumber. Who was in the office, just around the corner, got here, masked, gloved and cheerful . And fixed the shut-off sharpish, tightened up the hose bib on the patio and handed me a great big invoice.

But I rationalize my peace of mind is worth it. I have plenty of flood experience in this house and I didn't need one originating from the back of a closet, behind the water heater. Brilliant builder design. I wonder if they do this stuff on a bet.



So now the plants are watered and admired. The iris, first ones, descendants of some originally planted decades ago in a friend's grandmother's farm, are almost done, see those lovely cast shadows



And the chives have flowers. I usually clip them long before they flower, so this was a guest appearance.

The little knitting experiment narrated over on https://beautifulmetaphor.blogspot.com kept me calm and breathing and distracted while I waited for Greg the plumber.

15 comments:

  1. Goodness! Hoe fortunate the plumber was nearby and available. Life is nothing if not fraught these days. For which purpose, God made wine :) So glad all is well in the end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Greg the plumber commented when he arrived, well, you're looking great and you're vertical! This is a good day! To which I agreed heartily.

      Delete
  2. I'm glad the plumber was nearby, cheerful and masked. Sorry about the big invoice. May we all persevere!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I was glad it was the cheerful one. One of the group is a real Eeyore of a guy, everything's wrong, bad, too hard, his knee hurts etc. It's all pushing to get him working! I've known him since he was a teenage apprentice, perfectly fit, and the same complaining even then. But he's an excellent plumber once he gets down to it.

      Delete
  3. Nice PostScript here: nextdoor neighbors came over, another neighbor told them about the plumber, they wanted to know if all was well, and what had been wrong. Noticed my car still didn't have permanent plates on, said hand them over, and fixed them on. Very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad the water is fixed. Invoices are dependent reality shakers.
    Lovely irises.
    I don't know what's with chives this year. Mine greened weeks ago, grew a few inches, and stopped. The garden nursery chives don't look much better. The ones I planted look brownish. We need a stead blush of sun and rain.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have had quite a week already! Glad the water was relatively easy to fix. And Yay for nice neighbors who have an eye out for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And it's only Tuesday. I think.

      Delete
    2. I checked and it is! I hope you have a good rest of the week.

      Delete
  6. The plumber in a mask to the rescue. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lucky to have a plumber who will come right over, even if a big invoice is left behind. And your iris are charming - I do love them! It will be a while before I see iris blooming here, but I'm looking forward to it :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Having a plumber that close by AND willing is a wonderful thing. Don't know what would happen here if there were a problem right now. We haven't seen hide nor hair of our superintendent since the virus hit so no clue where she is. Maybe she turned tail and ran, who knows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I just hope someone knows where the shut-off is!

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!