Saturday, May 2, 2020

No whole-wheat so needs must

I'm so used to whole-wheat flour that it's a new landscape not having it. Now that I have enough white ap flour, and need bread, I consulted with my trusty Healthy Bread book for good alternatives.

And found curried lentil bread. Worth a shot. It worked differently from my usual.



See how it's trying to rise and escape? Then, wrestled down again, it looked yellowy. I used red lentils, which is why. They're more orange than red in color. Here it's going into the oven.



Then I had to guess at the baking time.  I guessed fifty  minutes, rather than the usual 60 when I use this pan. Waiting for it to cool before I find out if it worked out.



The recipe wanted two cups of whole-wheat, for which I subbed rice and oat flour that I'd ground. I'm guessing the change in flour accounts for the runaway tendency, since they have zero gluten. But the other 5.5 cups of Ap may have saved it. And the vital wheat gluten the recipe includes.
The cup of lentils rounded out the solid ingredients.

Whatever it's like, I have plenty of it.

12 comments:

  1. Another culinary adventure...I hope it is good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do too. It was a longer prep than usual, adding in 40 minutes to cook and cool and blend the lentils. Then two hours rising, then 50 minutes baking, I thought I'd never finish. I hope it's good!

      Delete
  2. We await a full report! It certainly looks good and I'm sure it smells equally as wonderful. The proof is in the tasting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's ok, but not wonderful. The dough was a little heavy. But it's certainly edible and has a nice delicate crust. Next time I would add in a bit more white flour.

      Delete
  3. I am never brave enough to make changes to a recipe as you did. Bet it will be good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see recipes as friendly suggestions!

      Delete
  4. I am a baker who LOVES to use all kinds of things as flour. Spool many options aside from wheat. So much fun to be had and grinding nuts, seeds, legumes and beans and seeds, is my normal. So fun. Here's to your new adventure beyond wholemeal flour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ive been doing that for years, as you'd see in the previous posts on the subject. But I still have a favorite go to wholewheat recipe, and my book is about grain flours, so that's what this is about at the moment. I've made many flours and still love whole-wheat best! But yes, there are many possibilities.

      Delete
    2. I'm still new here, but I love your outlook. I get that you love wholemeal the most. I respect that. I love me all kinds of grains, nuts, seeds, and whatever else I get my baker's hands on. So fun.

      Delete
    3. Whole-wheat. The complete grain, unchanged. Not wholemeal, which is processed then bran added back in. It's a bit different. A eetechnical point.

      Delete
  5. I'm impressed with your experimenting, Liz. Bread is one of those things I don't feel confident about making substitutions in ingredients. I think it's because it feels like such an investment of time. It looks beautiful in the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's photogenic, yes. Today it had firmed up much better, so that was good. I frequently substitute in bread, all kinds of flours and additions like seeds. I think as long as you sub liquid for liquid, solid for solid, it should work. In this case I think the recipe had too much liquid. Next time I'll cut back.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!