Thursday, October 3, 2024

Flower divas, Misfits box

 My $2 of flower seeds have developed into a seemingly endless lovely supply of cut flowers. Every time I cut the positively last bunch of the season, they're all not so fast, missy,  and there's more.

Here's today 




One maybe last daisy, zinnias, marigolds, forgetmenots. 

Long ago I made a New Year's resolution to have fresh flowers once a month in the house. The pandemic interrupted, then I continued,  but with homegrown flowers whenever available. I think improving your life is a good resolution, not just improving yourself. That's a pretty hopeless endeavor at this point with this fallible character.

Since there was a bit of time available, I did an unusual thing. I ironed. These are linen, thrift store buys long ago, altered to suit. 




I don't iron much, and then it's more fiberart projects than clothes, but every few launderings, linen really appreciates it. 

I've upcycled quite a few linen shirts, cutting off cuffs and making them into pockets, making cuffed sleeves into roll sleeves, cutting shirttails to make straight hems. Simple changes, but they work a treat. 

My theory is that almost new linen items end up being donated to the thriftie because someone didn't want the fuss of ironing. I've paid about $5 for name brand clothes going for at least ten times more at retail. Then I wear them for maybe twenty years. 

So Misfits arrived, along with my deciding what's for lunch.







Which turned out to be a green salad with dried cranberries, chunks of Cheddar and homemade mayo. Fresh plum for dessert.
 
And instead of slinging the chicken along with the shrimp into the freezer for future reference, I roasted it right away, why not, for instant use.

Here seen in progress.

The sugar pumpkin is on the step, that and the wooden cat forming the entirety of my Fall decor.

In a few days it will be soup, but right now it's a decorative item.
The mushrooms will do something cooperative with the chicken or maybe the shrimp, we'll see.  Or chickpeas. 

Happy day everyone, even if your formatting has gone funny as here. Happens to the best of us. Not to Harris and Walz. Wouldn't dare.






16 comments:

  1. I love those cheap packets of flower seeds. You never know what will come up.
    I’ve used all mine so I’ll have to go and buy some more. I’m sure the bees and butterflies will enjoy them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think everything germinated. I'm glad I ignored the people who said don't bother, they won't come up!

      Delete
  2. Everything was always ironed at our house (usually by someone else). Since we retired, the iron is rarely seen. So, yes, all those linen shirts I loved went to charity. I miss them. I used to make sure to always have flowers in the house every week. I’m going to start that up again when we moved. I’ll try to emulate your colors. So uplifting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too bad not to have the good shirts. Yes, go for the flowers, you'll be glad you did.

      Delete
  3. The blooms are gorgeous, Boud. So colourful! Gone are the hours of ironing. Thank goodness!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your flowers and your resolution to have them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I try to keep flowers or an arrangement of some sort in the hallway at all times. It is good for our souls.
    As is linen! My favorite fabric except for...silk velvet. Be still my heart. It is the most luxurious and dye-drinking material I know. And it costs a queen's ransom. And it is not practical. So linen it is. By the way- I ironed some linen today myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're living parallel lives. More or less. Give or take.

      Delete
  6. Your Thursday deliveries remind me how much I miss the market and meals I cooked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You did make big change in your life. I love unpacking and sorting my box each week, and putting the ingredients to work. It's a lot of work, though.

      Delete
  7. I had a really nice linen shirt once for work. The upkeep was a lot of work, so I never bought linen again. I don't remember what happened to my shirt. Probably went to the Goodwill after many years, still like new. Linen wears like iron.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's hard to wear out linen. And it's A bit demanding. Not that mine get a lot of attention.

      Delete
  8. Ah yes, the centering of the pictures carried over into the prose, but it's all good. Actually, I wouldn't have noticed if you hadn't mentioned it because I usually read blogs in Feedly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always center my pictures and left justify my text. But blogger has a nervous breakdown if you delete a picture and proceeds to center every damn thing!

      Delete

Please read the comments before yours and see if your question is already answered! Anonymous commenters: enter your name in your text if you want your comment published.