Sunday, October 20, 2024

Stitching, German Shepherds, and late roses

Late season roses and leaves on Saturday's morning walk.



And home again to pasta with a sauce of all kinds of seasonings with a Parmesan rind cooked in. Just two meals, the last of the penne, also the last of the tomatoes. No pictures, you've seen pasta before.

Then while I was thinking about dogs, I did a bit more stitching, just deciding on stitches and colors as I went. 

It's shaping up quite well.

About dogs, mainly German Shepherd dogs who could have a career in stand-up.

Molly was a client in my pet care service, and we met when she was newly arrived with her humans as a young puppy. They were experienced and knew that in order for her to let me in and handle her in the humans' absence, she'd need to accept me in her circle very young.  

They used to joke that she had the best pedigree of the lot of us, being a German German Shepherd, daughter of two German national show champions. She crossed the Atlantic to join us and proceeded to enchant everyone except the cable guy whom she terrorized.

She was intelligent enough to play tricks on humans, especially this one.

One day I came at noon as usual, to find an empty banana skin on the front door inside mat. She'd swiped the banana from the dining room fruit bowl, eaten the banana and put the skin right where my foot would go. I wondered if she'd been watching cartoons and hoped to see me skid across the floor.

Other times she'd pretend she couldn't come out of her crate, crying as if stuck. Until I tilted it up from the back so she slid out. Busted! Her face was a picture. I think she was hoping to be tempted out with a treat!

One of my knitting group friends told us how they had German Shepherd dogs, two of them, who, when the housekeeper came, were crated in the backyard. She was terrified of them, but the family assured her they would be crated for her 

She kept saying the dogs were getting out and scaring her, and the family, noting they were in their crates, bolts in place, when they got home, dismissed her concerns as made up from fear. 

Until the mother one day came home early, noticed the dogs playing in the yard, and saw them return to their crates, bolt the doors with a paw slipped through, then lie down as if they'd been there all along.

More dog tales another time. And we're open to your dog stories, too, Please share.

Happy day everyone, dogful or dogless or dogfree, however you see it.



18 comments:

  1. I loved your dog tales. Mine is not exciting.
    We were painting the inside of our house in 90s and Toby stood in the paint tray, his foot wet with paint. The logical thing to do would be pick him up, have a cloth under his paw and take him outside for a clean up. Instead we yelled TOBY, and he took off down the hallway leaving a paint paw print every foot or so. A lesson learnt by us but the situation never arose again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of those lessons you never need again, sounds familiar.

      Delete
  2. Dogs are highly entertaining and intelligent. Some have a greater sense of humour, others are more serious, all are loving and loyal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like any other species, they're not all intelligent! Some are lovable and very slow.

      Delete
  3. I have late roses blooming also. I love your stitching one of my goals is to improve my stitching. I do ok but I need to make it neater.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think just experience improves your stitching skills. But neatness doesn't always count, if you get the effect you want.

      Delete
  4. My father loved all dogs, EXCEPT German shepherds. He never told me the exact details, but it came from his experience of their use by Nazi soldiers in WW2 Europe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I can see that. It's all about training.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. When I talked about this in the knitting group some people looked sceptical till the other person described their gs exploits, too!

      Delete
  6. The stitched leaves are beautiful…like the real ones.

    Love the dog tales, such underestimated creatures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the nice words about the leaves. Yes, anyone unfamiliar with smart dogs can get a surprise. Particularly the sense of humor part.

      Delete
  7. life is intelligent. Minnie knows the button on the arm rest that rolls the window down on the passenger side. I have to lock the windows when it's either too cold or too hot to roll it down so she can stick her head out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think some dogs could probably drive, given the chance.

      Delete
  8. That unbolting and bolting trick sounds more like something an orangutan would do rather than a dog. I have to admit I had no idea they were so smart. At least German German Shepherds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. American GS are also smart. Not all breeds are. Some are mainly cute.

      Delete
  9. I grew up with them, they are wonderful, smart and loyal to their core. I had my mother's last Shepherd for 3 years after she, my mother, died. She was such a good dog. My best funny dog stories are mostly concerning basset hounds and greyhounds. Both of which I am certain you are familiar with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes bassets are the low comedy of the dog world, in both senses. I've handled a couple of greyhounds, like living artworks. They can't take a clumsy pose.

      Delete

Please read the comments before yours and see if your question is already answered! Anonymous commenters: enter your name in your text if you want your comment published.