Wednesday, October 23, 2024

Tuesday and textiles

I had a bit of time before I left for the knitting group, so I sat outside for a few minutes of doing nothing but look around.

The cosmos are going all out, with all kinds of insects busy around them, including this monarch 


At the Tuesday Knitting Group, the Spurtzleur was at work, finally. M brought in a piece of Shetland roving, and learned in no time. She and I have been trying for ages to get this together, roving and Spurtzleur.

She spins with a wheel and a spindle and is now enthusiastic about this new spinning tool.

Another member suggested to the librarian that there be a separate series of classes for people to learn in order to feed into and grow our group. She even offered to teach a crochet series, and we all had our input into what when and where!  

Here's a donated box from which participants can get supplies, and the library will provide crochet hooks. I'll add to the supplies, with less chunky yarn 

And we'll have a display of our own projects for a few days in November, so I'll pick out a couple of items. P. the librarian is very enthusiastic!

Other talk ranged over the difficulty of linen spinning, M having gone to a workshop and found it very hard on the hands,  rehoming the  recorder, the difficulty of online music meetings, so much difficulty! And Diwali, so much fun.

And a report on Rhinebeck, not very flattering -- not enough sheep! Too commercial! Too huge! Anyway not to the taste of the person who went. She much preferred the sheepy  Maryland Sheep and Wool and the NJ much smaller one, but with the requisite sheep breeds. Different audiences.

This was such a rich meeting, new learning in spinning, new beginner classes planned, project display in the works. 

At home again, Textiles and Tea brought 

A teacher, owner of ETC,  a textile center in Oregon, tour director to Egypt and Sweden, next stop Peru. She also designs and weaves. Her linen and lace classes are among a range of weaving skills she teaches. Her hairy studio assistant is on duty with her.






I included this because I like to see the guest's surroundings



HGA (Hand weavers Guild of America) prize-winning linen and lace hanging.

 



Observing a worker in Egypt demonstrating a technique. 

Every week there's an interesting fiber worker on HGA's Textiles and Tea.  Suzie, judging from online comments, is a beloved teacher.

I knitted a new fingerless glove while I watched. Another rich Tuesday, following my love of textiles and the people involved in them.



Happy day, everyone, follow your bliss or whatever you like to follow.








18 comments:

  1. Once again lots of beautiful work.
    I think having classes to “feed” into your group sounds like a great idea

    ReplyDelete
  2. Autumn flowers and a butterfly must be nice to see before the cold arrives.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a great day! TheTuesday Knitting Group is a powerhouse!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The knitting group sounds wonderful with plans to expand!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rhinebeck is indeed huge, and can be overwhelming - especially the first time. But I still feel a little twinge of wish-i-could every time it rolls around. The Vermont Sheep & Wool Festival in Tunbridge is the one I recommend to anyone who prefers a small, great-for-families, varied and active fiber fair with all the trimmings, at a manageable scale. You might even be able to remember where you saw that one special skein or hank or animal an hour ago, and go back and get it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the recommendation. I'll pass it on. It's a distance but she might make a vacation around it.

      Delete
  6. I have to tell you that the videos I have watched about doing a rolled hem have the most serene-sounding women teaching them. It's like a sort of meditation, just listening to them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, any slow stitching has that effect. It's a reason some people do it.

      Delete
  7. Tuesday is a full and enjoyable day for you. I think it's fantastic the librarian likes the beginner class idea. The weaver has great hair!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tuesdays work well for me. I had to go back to see the weaver's hair there.

      Delete
  8. my orange cosmos are blooming nicely now. it's been so dry that even though I water they still look a bit droopy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only ever seen white pink and red cosmos.

      Delete
  9. Why don't I have Cosmos? I used to and liked their random self-seeding. Maybe next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love them and definitely want them next year, too.

      Delete

Please read the comments before yours and see if your question is already answered! Anonymous commenters: enter your name in your text if you want your comment published.