Monday, October 7, 2024

End of season on the patio, tool talk, Indian treats and stitch design

 Sunday morning, another brilliant day, I did some fall cleanup, took out dead foliage from the pots, cut back the ever encroaching lemon balm, trimmed the butterfly bush, swept and tossed and generally got carried away. 




No cutting back here, just letting the cosmos and wildflowers do what they want.

And I watched a cool Atomic Shrimp YouTube video, foraging, inventive cooking of whatever's around. 

I notice he's now using the back of the knife blade to sweep off the cutting board. I boycott "cooks" who use the sharp edge as a broom. No good can come of such brutality to their precious tools. Shrimp was firmly taken to task a while back by a teaching chef, and, credit where due, he did better when he knew better.

I've been in this convo before and few people responding seems to grasp why it matters. They're more oh, you can just get it resharpened. Some restaurants have a regular sharpening service. Not the point. 

The sharpening is for regular wear on the blade from cutting and slicing. Not for repairing damage done by people who don't respect their tools as partners.  A craftsman probably designed and maybe also made the tools. 

The notion of respecting and caring for your tools is about more than cooking or making anything. It has to do with your relationships, too, the way you move through the world. It's a metaphor.

 I  stepped down from my Sunday soapbox to start drawing my design for the Bayeux stitch page in the fabric book.

Here's my model

and here's my drawing, 

ready to trace into the muslin page.

And here's the muslin page 

As you see, the drawing was a starting point, not the whole idea. Now I have to find yarns to stitch with.

 Shortly after, Gary showed up with 

His next door neighbors just came back from India. Not to his taste, he's more of a Wendy's guy. 

Happy day everyone! You're all entitled to my opinion! Speaking of which, I tracked my ballot. Safely received.




2 comments:

Please read the comments before yours and see if your question is already answered! Anonymous commenters: enter your name in your text if you want your comment published.