Tuesday, October 8, 2024

Stitching and other concerns

 I found a selection of colors in yarn for the leaf page 


Mary will recognize the chartreuse thread there

And I started on the stitching.


And quickly realized this design isn't blocky enough to use the rather heavy Bayeux stitch. It's got a lot of movement, so I'll work it to suit.

First started with a backstitching for the veins. I love the sound of the needle piercing the muslin and the hiss of the thread following it 



Because this yarn is fairly bulky, to avoid bumps from finishing the thread the usual way, I slid it back and forth on the back, using the head of the needle, then cut the tail. You can see a couple of places where I did this.

Not up to a lot today, dealing with a call I got yesterday with the worst news about a mutual long time friend. She and I have been co-conspiritors for decades, wrote an entirely imaginary local newsletter about the neighbors, and have done diy on my house. 

I knew she was sick, though up and about and driving, saw her a while back, but now she's found she has very little time.  She's much younger than I, though I'm not sure why that makes it harder. People don't die in age order. It just feels wrong.  

Anyway I called, left a message on her voicemail, and I'll do that at intervals if she doesn't want me to visit. People who know how sick they look often don't. 

Good thoughts for her, please, and let's have a happy day if we can.

The squirrels found my front step pumpkin and started to bite into it. So it's now cooked and in the freezer for soup and the seeds and rind are out for Butternut Boy's dining pleasure. So he'll have a good day anyway.


Photo AC 


7 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about your friend's failing health. That's always hard news.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Particularly this one. Thank you for your words.

      Delete
  2. Sorry to hear about your friend’s illness, Boud. We received similar news recently about my husband’s aunt. She likes a phone call but not everyone does.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Probably about two years or so ago I got an email from a high school friend whose brother had been a friend of mine too. She told me that he did not have long to live and I wrote him a long note, telling him how many memories I had of his kindness and sweet nature when we had known each other. I think he appreciated it and wrote me back but that was the last I heard from him before he died. I am so glad we were able to connect that one last time. It meant a great deal to me. I hope it did to him as well. I was so glad that his sister had let me know how ill he was.
    I am so sorry to hear about your friend.

    ReplyDelete

Please read the comments before yours and see if your question is already answered! Anonymous commenters: enter your name in your text if you want your comment published.