Thursday, October 21, 2021

And there was light. Also plants. And a cat.

The ceiling light arrived and friend installed it for me. What an improvement. I can see to work now.



He also replaced the walkway temporarily on the patio so I can use it again, there being no sign of the fence project continuing, and my view is much better for the winter. Also I was tired of walking in mud or teetering on cinder blocks to use the back gate.

And here may be the reason I've had no activity at the bird feeder.

Maui, one of the cats from next door, heading for the last of the chives. Handsome Son saw him chase off a squirrel the other day.

While we were messing about with the walkway, and I tripped but didn't fall, over one of the boards, thrills and spills,  the neighbor I gave the sedum to, came over to give me off-shoots of her ginger and turmeric. Also a curry leaf plant. I cook a lot with curry leaves. 

Her entire garden is in containers, a previous owner having paved over the patio, and she's amazingly successful. Also knowledgeable. She explained the whole process of commercial harvesting of ginger and turmeric where she comes from, in Bangalore. Always interesting to talk to her.


Left turmeric, right ginger. See the active roots.  I could harvest both but I'd like to grow them on a bit.

So I now have unexpected additions to the plants.




And Gary is bringing me a very nice bromeliad, to rescue it from being bitten by the same cat who's eating the chives,  unless he forgets, so there's that.

Now I wonder if the decluttering  rule of one in one out applies to plants. If so I'm running late.

The lovely Dyes and Paints book arrived, by a recent Textiles and Tea guest. 

I had requested it at the library, though it's long out of print, just in hopes. Sorry, nearest copy would be an interstate loan, so I said nah,  I'll look on eBay. 

Which I did, found a copy at an excellent price and condition, via a dealer in Indiana, a long way from here, and found


It had been deaccessioned from a library just up the road twenty minutes from here! When I buy second hand I look for library copies, better binding and condition usually. 

And here's what it's about




Today I'll definitely be studying this. Many thoughts of future work, with that stash of natural dyes in the freezer.

Warm sunshine is back for now, do I'll get a walk. Happy day, everyone.

Oh, housekeeping note to anyone who didn't hear back to their recent email: yahoo seems to be decluttering behind the scenes, my inbox wiped clean this morning, files collapsed into each other, some truncated. I checked more than one device, same story. I'll catch up, just can't reread what you said, sorry.






13 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. He's a mighty hunter. Brings his catch into their house, and stows it behind the sofa. After a couple of days they sniff and realize he's done it again.

      Delete
  2. What a nice and busy post! Lovely man to replace your light and doing some work on your walkway.
    That cat reminds me of Jack although it appears to me that he is a Manx. Or is that just the angle of the photo?
    I know you're delighted to get that book! You heard about it via the internet, you found it via the internet. I love that.
    I have a ginger root sprouting right now. I want to pot it and I also have a seedling that's rooted I need to pot. My problem? I need more pots! And potting soil too, actually. I will never be able to follow the "one in, one out" rule for plants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Maui's a Manx. Stub of a tail. The endless chain of needing more pots and soil, which leads to oh now I can do this, too..I never seem to run out of plants. Funny that.

      Delete
  3. Those books look colorful and fascinating. Enjoy your walk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's one lovely book with tons of great pix. And ideas.

      Delete
  4. Yay for the light and for the kind neighbor to help with it! It's a wise decision to replace the walkway for now. I imagine that will be safer for you during the winter months. Maui is a cutie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maui thinks he's a deadly force! But I think he's cute, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have to love neighbours like that - you're fortunate to have him. I've never seen a ginger plant so that was interesting. And that book looks fascinating and now I'm wondering if our library would happen to have a copy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Resident Chef might want to grow ginger. Just plant a chunk of fresh ginger from the store, lengthwise, cover with about haif an inch of potting soil. Warm, moist, should sprout.

      Delete
    2. It was published over 20 years ago, so maybe online second hand might be a good bet.

      Delete
  7. Pretty sure there are no decluttering rules where plants are concerned. Closest I come to that is to give away duplicates.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, good, because I have no hope otherwise.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!