Saturday, October 30, 2021

Saturday

Roaring storm, rain, high winds last night, most damage south of here, handsome Son getting home from work at nearly 9 pm texted to say he'd made it okay, despite being blown around.  We're losing count of the number of storms at this point.

Before the storm I had made it to the knitting group, yay, four whole people, biggest crowd I've been in for a couple of years, and great fun. Two knitters, one crocheter, one stitcher. One new member is knitting a prayer shawl as part of her church ministry, with donated yarn, the shawls to be given to people who need them.

Our fearless knitting leader yet again announced she was going to learn to crochet. This is a regular announcement, and I'll be quite sad when it happens, really. The running gag will be over. But I don't know how much danger there is of that. 

She also shared a picture of a great piece of knitting. This is at the Shetland Textile Museum, home of world-class knitting for generations, this fence created by one knitter. It's based on a traditional lace design.


I've knitted a scarf years ago in a Shetland lace traditional pattern, catspaw, with much groaning and demands for quiet and no interruptions, and lifelines.

This pattern. My own is downstairs somewhere, but this shows the pattern, see the catspaws?


I was quite proud of my accomplishment, until I discovered that among Shetland knitters, it's considered so simple women, they're mainly women, do it walking about outside, chatting with their friends..

My fall indoor gardening is all about seeds. The moringa and Rose of Sharon are coming along, and I noticed on the fence an outcropping of the bitter melon gourd which climbed from next door. 




Now overripe, I thought I'd give the seeds a chance of growing like a vine indoors. So it's in its new home. You can see it's an appealing vine shape, so I'm hopeful.

I also have a few cucumber seeds which maybe I'll do the same thing with, just to see what happens. 
I'm definitely losing the space race with plants, despite Winnowing elsewhere.




13 comments:

  1. Can you imagine the reaction to, “I’m knitting a fence.” Quite an accomplishment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a beautiful knit pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never been disciplined enough to truly follow patterns whether knitting or crocheting. And it is vastly apparent. I, too, am losing the plant-space wars. And I seem to be in a new phase of wanting to root and make more of what I already have. What is wrong with me? It's just so thrilling somehow, to make an entire new plant from a leaf, a tendril. I've run out of pots!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That catspaw pattern is wonderful! Even basic "knit one, purl one" is beyond me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your catpaws are lovely and that fence is a wonder.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never learned to knit and doubt I ever will at this point. I do like the lace fence but wonder how long it will last made out of twine. When I was in Scotland the group "went to the Whaligoe Steps for dinner at a small restaurant there. Because it had been raining and the rocks were likely to be slick, we didn't venture down them, 365 in number, to the cove where the men would bring in their boats and catch and the women would carry it up and to market. It was said that the women would carry the baskets of fish on their backs and they would knit a sock while they walked turning the heel when they got to market and having it finished by the time they walked back home." this is a quote from one of the blog posts I wrote about the trip. Those of us who want to venture down them got to go back another day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not surprised at the knitting speed. There are knitters who can turn out a sweater in a day.

    In north Yorkshire, in the fishing village of Staithes, I remember as a kid the fishwives, the day's catch disposed of, standing at their open front doors chatting and knitting incredibly fast.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How nice that you could get out with some friends today! I love that catspaw pattern. I hope your weather settles down and you get some nice sunny days soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was a speed knitter, back in the day. Then I wondered what was the point. There was no need, and I was missing the pleasure of the knitting.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, if you're not needing the income, as the Shetland knitters and the Yorkshire fish wives do, there's no rush.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That decrepit bitter melon has the oddest seed pod! How nice that it crept over to your side of the fence.

    I AM amazed at the knitting speed. And that fence is, indeed, a wonder. And no, I can't see the catspaws, though the pattern is elegant.

    And lastly, I am envious of your storms. Please send them west to us.

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
  12. If you imagine cat footprints in snow you might see them better in the pattern.

    I think the people with trees and power lines down and flooded houses would be glad to see them elsewhere! Too much of a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I know I could never knit anything that intricate (fence OR scarf!!). I know I technically probably could but I don't want to have to concentrate to that degree. I knit in front of the tv and plain knitting suits me just fine.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!