Tuesday, October 19, 2021

Murgh makhani and other Indian feats

Yesterday was an unexpectedly Indian kind of day.

Morning walk yielded this neighbor's artwork, a little early for Diwali, but maybe it's a welcome to visiting family. Stenciled chalk.


Then I followed through on a plan to make the fairly modern Indian dish, butter chicken, murgh makhani. It's rich with butter and cream, for me whole milk, and takes a bit of doing, not high-level skills, just time.

I followed the Bombay Chef on YouTube for this but had to adapt the ingredients to what I had. Instead of fresh tomatoes, tomato paste, big chunk, a la America's test kitchen where I first saw that substitution.

I didn't have crushed methi leaves, just the seeds (aka fenugreek) so I crushed a few of them. I did have all the spices, chili powder, garam masala, all that, why are you not surprised.





First you marinate, really rub, the chicken pieces in spices, leave a while, then make what I call the sauce, Indians call the gravy.  

This involves another slew of spices, garlic paste, I used minced fresh, ginger paste, I used minced fresh, tomatoes, I used paste, onions, he used shallots, butter galore, cream, whole milk for me, sugar,  malt vinegar, cashews, lengthy simmering, blend till smooth, add in the chicken now fried, and heat all over again, then taste. Wow. Worth the work. 

Container, minus one emergency helping for the cook in case there are no leftovers, now in the freezer, ready for next week's Handsome Son dinner Chez Mom. To be served over jasmine rice.

Later I went out with my spade to dig up that errant sedum I'd promised to my neighbor, Aditha. She instantly ran out to help and I explained it was for her anyway, so she and her husband happily transplanted it across to her side of the little front area. 

So it's now out of harm's way, too close to the sidewalk before, being trodden on by kids playing, threatened by landscapers edging.

Indian art, cooking and neighbors gardening, not a bad day.

Today I still have to eat, here cream of  tomato, chickpea, cashew.  Thai basil starting to grow again in the house, ready to garnish everything that gets within range.

Unhemmed napkin playing a finished one on this blog.

And Neighbor Gary is coming over to replace the ceiling light later. 

Later Textiles and Tea. All good.

13 comments:

  1. My Rare One found a delicious butter chicken sauce in a jar at Costco. A lot quicker, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love those colorful drawings on the sidewalk. do any of your neighbors do the rice drawing outside the doorstep first thing in the morning?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think so. Mostly they're off their commute and school so early, often in the dark. Or they're remote working and early morning is the last of the workday. This particular front path was done by an adult, but the less dramatic ones are done by kids.

      Delete
  3. I, too, love the sidewalk art. So very lovely!
    I've never made butter chicken but my daughter does- her family loves it. Perhaps I will give it a try soon. I love it too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People who complain about immigrants changing our towns don't grasp the great pleasure and color they share. This morning's walk took me past an old Chinese lady chatting on her phone in rapid Mandarin, who greeted me as I passed, some Guatemalan landscapers expertly felling a massive dead tree among the houses, my Indian neighbors, and that's only counting the people I know. I hope I've brought value with me, too!

      Delete
  4. The sidewalk art is impressive. I hope you can learn what prompted it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. It's for Diwali. The Diwali specials are already in the shop rite flyer! I instructed handsome Son, who works at a sr, to pick up a couple of items at a terrific price, if he can.

      Delete
  5. I love how multi-cultural your area seems to be. All neighbourhoods should be like that and therefore teach a mindset of tolerance for others. Unfortunately such is not the case in many places.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's why I live here in this development. There are parts of this little town that are not so accepting.

      Delete
  6. The sidewalk drawings are wonderful! I hope they don't wear/wash off soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We haven't had much rain, so they're okay for a while.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!