Wednesday, October 27, 2021

Voting done and counted, tiny home dreams

 So here's my proof that I count, arrived yesterday


Next civic duty: feeding handsome Son member of the front facing workforce, this evening, menu: butter chicken over garlic couscous, dessert, apple turnovers, pot of tea.

Meanwhile I've been having  textile adventures and plans,  but they can wait for now. Today I spent some time down the fantasy path of Tiny Homes on YouTube.

Not including the 24' trailer converted by a couple of builders,  with an additional loft, bigger than a lot of city apartments, complete with fullsize everything.  Doesn't count as tiny in my book. No pix for you!

The ones that intrigued me were the creations and adaptations done by solo women, of all ages. Some are stationary, some are traveling vans made into homes, and there's the Skoolie movement, adapting old school buses to live in.

Back to real tiny homes, I like this Vancouver BC  lady a lot. Finding herself alone, divorced, kids grown and gone, she learned carpentry in her sixties in order to build her retirement tiny home. Indomitable. She has so many clever ideas. She and her dog are happy.



Loft bedroom with emergency window exits both sides.


Sitting in a multipurpose chair which tilts, works for naps as well as reading.

she rents the site, owns the home. And she's so honest about what she's learned. 

She's got one of those scary flights of stairs up to the sleeping loft, but she's already planning on a downstairs bed, just in case. The stairs in tiny homes  are often steep because they're also storage drawers, good for storage, not so much for climbing.

Most of the videos I saw of single women show them with their dog, whose requirements are also built in to the planning.


This is a van traveler, working on the road in sales, who explains she didn't have building skills so she paid for help to retrofit the van to her own ideas.

A couple of younger women are professional traveling woodworkers and consultants, one a lawyer,  all working full-time and staying on the road.

They're so resourceful and ready to learn, and shape their own lives, it was fun to follow them. They're also generous with explanations of the logistics, WiFi, mail, electric, plumbing, much of which they learned as they went.

I notice that to be happy living tiny, you need access to loads of outdoor space, on a big lot or on the road. And the ones I saw were largely rural and in milder climates.  

Several of them said they avoided winter wherever they could. The were hikers, climbers, fishers, their homes comfortable but less important than outdoors.

They all named their tiny home! Daisy in BC, Freebird the renovated fried chicken van, it seems to be a thing.

It seems to be a white world, too, at least from what I've seen. I wonder, well, I exoect, there are more barriers to minority women.

The miniaturization interests me, homes as organized and compact as boats. In fact one owner said she bought marine cabinets where she could afford to, more expensive but great weatherproof quality.  And edges on shelves to avoid falling objects..

It also pays to be small and fit! Low ceilings, lot of bending to retrieve items, bed can be fitted in better if you're not six foot plus.

It was a dreamy trip of what if.. even though I'm not planning on a tiny home. Heck, in the eighteen months since I've been pondering selling this house and renting a little condo, the rent on the type I had in mind has gone up nearly 40%. Thereby putting it pretty much in the realm of fantasy!  I need to regroup.

Meanwhile, may as well enjoy the space I'm in. Happy Day, everyone! I'm still Winnowing.



11 comments:

  1. I've seen tiny homes where couples live in them. seems like a sure road to divorce with privacy and no space to get away from the spouse when feelings get hurt as they do. even were I single I couldn't do a tiny home and still create art or any hobby or activity for that matter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was my other thought. People who make stuff can't manage tiny homes. Unless they rent a studio!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm claustrophobic so I don't think a tiny home is in my future. It's fascinating to take a virtual tour of some of them though because the storage ideas are always interesting. One of my friends has a very elaborate camper that they use in the summer and it has all the comforts you could ever want, even going so far as to have a/c and heat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tiny homes are intriguing, I agree. But would not be a lifestyle for me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've always thought tiny homes were fascinating especially the ones where they seem to find or make so many little hidden nooks for storage. I'm not sure I could live in one unless I gave up all my sewing and quilting supplies! I hope you and handsome Son enjoyed your dinner. It does sound delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Verdict on the dinner came from surveying the empty dishes! It went over very well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad that you and Handsome Son had a delicious dinner!

    I find tiny houses utterly fascinating. I think I (and dog or two) could live happily in a tiny house as long as there was outdoor space for a garden and a lot of hiking. But I could not live in one with my dear spouse. I agree with Ellen A. that it's too tight for two people, no matter how in love. I'll keep my Mike and dream of tiny houses.

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think my claustrophobia would be too much of a thing. Plus, I guess you'd never have anyone over for the weekend (like out of state children or grandchildren). They're cute, the tiny houses, but I'd pass.

    ReplyDelete
  9. One of the owners, the married couple, commented that they could only entertain in warn weather when everyone could be outside, particularly kids. There's a big emphasis on living out of doors. I guess that's why there don't seem to be any in colder climates

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think that some people may be more suited to living in small spaces than others. I suppose that if the alternative was living rough, the tiny house would definitely win! I'm just glad I've never had to try and fit my life into such a space. Although...I did live with my first husband and eventually two children in a 500 square foot trailer so I guess I actually have! It wasn't terrible, really.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I seriously considered van living. BMW makes a beautiful camping van for about 50K, back when I was looking, and there were more than a few used ones available. I intended to set up my studio in the living room area; still room to cook, watch TV, sleep. Then I broke my leg.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!