Thursday, October 14, 2021

Tea, soup and roofs

 Yesterday Handsome Son visited, plowed through walnut raisin muffins and oatmeal cookies, requested future cookies, and all was well.


He also got down a couple of shades from ceiling lights so I could evict the various wildlife that had moved in, and clean them. And found that one light was dim because the cfl bulbs were barely functioning, so took them out. 

They're some weird shape that I don't have more of. I hope the replacements are not bobbing about gently on a container ship at the Port of LA.  

I really need better light in that area, over the table where I often work.  You'll see the new tea napkins, yet to be hemmed, and the new tea cloth, yet to be cut and hemmed. Done in a dim light.

I expect the cloth is familiar to followers of the English paper piecing caper a couple of years ago, yielding a bunch of pillows, see also the matching pillow back, once a skirt. 

The napkins will be familiar to followers of the new yellow skirt, which is going to get a couple of outings, the weather having turned warm again. I still have material for pockets left, after the napkins happened.

But, Boud's Exquisite Table Napery Guide needs you to study this information. There may be a quiz. I had to have the authentic size for the napkins.

This is important to our continuing civilization. Or something.

On a more substantial plane, there's always soup, my go-to when it's not roasting vegetables.

In the interests of emptying the freezer a bit more, while eating well, I made cream of cauliflower, scallion, quinoa soup, using my homemade vegetable stock. 

The leaf is a ginger leaf. It tastes more like cilantro than gingery. I suppose all the heat stays in the root. Anyway the soup is pretty good, the stock working about as well as the stock I bought. 

The leaf has gone to form part of a still life set-up.

To my surprise we're in Season Six of the microseasons year, 


and I recorded the first mushroom to appear and a squirrel burying a black walnut in the pachysandra. Just a couple of words is working well, enough to record slow changes.

Not wishing to leave the It's Always Something category unfilled, there's a new Something. The condo roof replacement is about to start. And skylights and their flashing are not included in the cost to the HOA. 

The warranty won't let the roofers work around perfectly functioning skylights, they say. 

So owners of condos with skylights, about half of them, have to hand over $700 to the roofers for the new ones that come with the new roof. Sigh.. I vaguely recall having a separate billing for the skylight last time, too. It was nearer $250 then, twenty years ago.

But it's fair not to spread the cost over owners of downstairs and mid level condos without skylights, I see that. It doesn't stop me from moaning and poor me'ing.

And the shiny new glass will definitely be better than the twenty year buildup of bird mess and weather. Impossible to clean the skylight  outside, nobody will go on roofs anymore. 

Also I don't have to live through the racket, that's Handsome Son's lot. And there's no concern about separating  the dryer vent sections above the ceiling, because we don't use it now.

This happened last time around, a serious fire hazard to have dryer lint flying around the eaves because the vent had separated. Extra chimney people visit to repair it. 

So there we are. Another doctor thing in a couple of weeks. Ages ago my primary doctor pointed out a little red thing near my eye, with a bit of concern. 

So I thought I'd quick check with the dermatologist. That was early summer. First available November 1st.  Not so fun wondering if it's anything and what might be happening while I try to get in. I've checked for cancellations just in case, and the next possible is February next year.  

So okay, my luck's been pretty good, let's hope it keeps up.

This has been your daily All Over the Map Trip. I'm going walking now, warm sunshine.

16 comments:

  1. Well, I thought I was so couth for using cloth napkins. Now I discover that I've been using the wrong sizes for various meals.
    Sigh.
    Glad that Handsome Son made a visit and enjoyed some treats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you'd signed up for my 12 zoom sessions on Napery and its Influence on the Smashing of the Patriarchy, you'd never have made that faux pas. But it will appear eventually on YouTube.

      Delete
  2. Ugh, I know what you mean about bad lighting. The overhead lights in my place are all track lighting, which is harsh and casts terrible shadows. It's why all my indoor photos suck and I have to rely on a study lamp to get shadow-free light when I do art.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't like overhead light at all. Do you recommend any study lamp you like? I haven't had much luck. They tend to fall over.

      Delete
  3. I'm sure Handsome Son enjoyed your muffins and cookies. The table looks lovely. I remember my Mother had different size napkins and I have a collection of her luncheon napkins.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm impressed with your collection. I have a pretty motley assortment.

      Delete
  4. we always used cloth napkins growing up and so have I since leaving home. I'm not all about the proper size but the have to be absorbent (nothing worse than a cloth napkin that doesn't work) and pretty though solids colors work too. I've recently scored some nice cotton green ones and pink/blue/brown flowery print ones from estate sales. I totally don't understand how some people only use paper towels for napkins.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use cloth for all kinds of purposes to save on paper.

      Delete
  5. Thank you for the napkins size chart.
    Vintage cocktail napkins sometimes make nice hankies.
    Napkins and rags here instead of paper towels was the norm until the pandemic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I raised my grands on cloth napkins to get them accustomed and to demonstrate wash and reuse. I wonder if they still use them. I sent all of them off with a supply.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oddly enough - I know the napkin rules. Currently using the informal dinner size though I have had the formal dinner big boys at one time of my life. I don't like paper napkins or paper towels for that matter (unless I'm eating bbq ribs)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had some vague notion about the 12" ones I make for afternoon tea. I have various other handwoven ones which I don't think conform to Emily Post, but they work okay. I've been smothered in those giant damask ones you get in restaurants at dinner, sometimes.

      Delete
  8. You son is so lucky, what a great and also baking of goodies mom he has. I know he's a great help to you too, so it works both ways.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, one more think to add to my education! Who knew there were 'proper' uses for the various sizes of napkins. (hah - I just realized I typed 'think' instead of 'thing' and rather than correct it, I'm leaving it...because it really did make me think!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. I had noticed that posh homes and restaurants use napkins big enough for tablecloths! And teatime small. But I didn't know the other "rules".

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!