Sunday, October 24, 2021

Dogs are not the only pets

For ages I've been meaning to write a bit about the petcare business years, and I haven't partly because it preceded cellphones, so no digital pictures. Also privacy issues. I had a lot of private information about people's home setups, families, and was careful to keep it safe.

So, text only here. I didn't even use my own street address at that time, used a PO box, because once people hear you work with animals it's only a matter of time before you find an abandoned dog leashed to your front door, or a box of kittens. People try to pass their responsibility to anyone who looks likely. Also I kept the files and keys secure that way. And I was bonded and insured, so owners didn't worry about exactly where I lived. After a while it was all word of mouth and a waiting list.

Onto happier things. I'd done a lot of work with pets one way and another, and had always had a full-time, for many years pretty high falutin, day job, so that I didn't rely on my art as an income. In the fine arts, it doesn't work for several reasons I can bore on about another time. 

Eventually I really needed daylight hours to work in the studio, so the petcare business was varied enough day to day, to do that.

Early morning , then noon, then late afternoon then late night rounds seven days a week, allowed day time artwork in between. Live animals mean only the occasional day off, when there just don't happen to be bookings. Yes, it was a lively life! 

Over the twelve years I took care of thousands of pets --multi pet households being a big feature -- and their humans.

One home had a dog, a cat, a ferret, dear little Suzy, who rode around in my sleeve while I tended them, fish, lizards, birds, mice and various other forms of animal life. There was a safe way of letting them have free  play, keeping natural prey safe from their predators. That house was involved!

Then there were the hapless owners and the hellbent dogs. Like the two friendly giant Schnauzers who tore off the front of my skirt greeting me at a preliminary meeting, while their owner wrung her hands exclaiming oh, the naughty, naughty dogs! I was holding on my skirt and suggesting she call them off. 

And tuxedo kitties, short hair, who all seem like smart kids always following their own plans. One jumped on the counter and started the can opener when I arrived, the owner having forgotten to unplug it before they left. 

While I was in the fridge in search of any opened cans, her brother jumped in and I just saw his tail vanishing as I closed the door. Good thing I saw. 

One of them used to try to leave with me, sneaking into my coat sleeve, maybe I wouldn't notice. But I learned to do a pre departure check at every house,  to make sure everything was unplugged, all occupants safe and accounted for.

Then there was Molly the German German shepherd, bred in Germany to two national champions, but kept as a pet. Her intelligence was off the charts. 

She'd play tricks on me. One time she stole a banana out of the fruit bowl, ate the contents and left the skin right where I'd step when I came in. I think she watched too many cartoons. Or she'd pretend to be stuck in her crate until I called her bluff and tilted it so she slid out, looking sheepish.

And another Molly, a huge Rottweiler who wouldn't get in her crate when I left until she'd got a kiss behind her left ear. The owners had left various treats to use to persuade her, which I didn't use, not being a big fan of food rewards, but she had a soft spot for a kiss! 

I could write an entire post on animals I've been bitten by, usually in mistake for food, or playing and they forgot I was a human. Dogs who nipped accidentally apologized elaborately, play bowing, licking the owie. The funniest was the koi, when I was feeding at the pond, who leapt up out of the water when I came in sight and attached himself to my finger as I was scattering food. No harm done.

Rabbits make a v shaped bite, as I found moving one to clean his cage.

Then there were the guinea pigs. Dear Rushette, who would take her little container of salad I'd organized and push it into her miniature house like a busy housewife coming home from shopping. I could hear her excited meeping as I put my key in the front door of the apartment.

There were odd alliances, too, like the big cat who loved to play with the family hamster. The hamster, normally prey,  would run about on the cat, take a nap, perfectly safe. 

Or the big golden retriever who had weaned her own AKC pups, off to new homes, then nursed a newborn mixed breed stray puppy her owner found dumped. I had noticed how bonded they were, and the owner explained why. It was inspired of her to set it up. Dogs don't worry about pedigrees.

When small animals were children's pets the kids were often very worried about leaving them, so I'd meet them and ask them for instructions, make notes and promise to be their pet's friend. I already had copious notes from the adults, about vets, diet, house security, all that, but this was separate. 

I'd always leave a voicemail message the day I started at any booking, so they'd be reassured all was well. 

After a few years I deleted dogs from the roster, to save my arms from damage from untrained dogs, largely, also to cut out the dawn and late night rounds. I gave loads of notice, but there was still weeping and wailing from owners who'd got used to the service.

Owners were another story, ranging from wonderful people to complete nutjobs, what else is new. But the animals were courteous and fun, and became great friends. 

People used to tell me they didn't like working with people, so maybe they'd start a pet business. I'd explain that unless they made owners happy there wouldn't be a business, since they made the bookings and paid the bills.

It was certainly the most strenuous and demanding twelve years' work I've ever done, and the happiest. 

On the theme of  anything is possible, I'm reading Elizabeth Strout's novel of that name, and thank you Mary, for reminding me of her. I loved the structure of Olive Kittredge and the sequel, and that episodic style is how this unfolds.

ut

It's written in her sparse prose, eloquent, not fancy, and you notice how the connections between characters and events unfold.  Highly recommended.




22 comments:

  1. If you're not able to post comments, blogger issues again, I've changed the comment setting from embedded to whole page. That might help.

    If you'd like to email me, it's (use the letters I indicate, I only wrote them out to prevent spam) ell ex ex adams at yahoo dotcom. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like such interesting work if you love animals like I do and obviously you do too. I'm sure it was not always an easy job and the early and late hours could be hard. People that do such work are a blessing because it can be difficult to leave an animal at a kennel where they may be uncomfortable and afraid.

    ReplyDelete
  3. animal bondings reminded me of out pet rabbit, a male miniature dutch rabbit with one nut (the breeder had tried to castrate it but only managed one) and a boxer. the rabbit was fully adult when the boxer puppy came to live with us. the rabbit had been terrorizing the two cats who wouldn't walk on the floor because the rabbit would jump them to hump and when one of them did get surprised it was like the cartoon of swirling fur and yowling cat and screaming rabbit. anyway, the dog fell in love with the rabbit and would let him hump her to his heart content. when the dog got tired of it she would just stand up and shake the rabbit off. I eventually threw the rabbit outside and was horrified to see the dog with the rabbit in her mouth one day. drop it drop it but she had been gentle like carrying a puppy and the rabbit loved it. the two of them would take turns chasing each other around the yard to the entertainment of the neighbors. alas, the rabbit met his doom when he managed to get in the neighbor's yard one morning and their dogs did what dogs do, treated it as prey.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bonnie, yes, reliable and loving care for your pets is valued. I had a lot of single women clients who were often out of state for corporate meetings on short notice and they couldn't have had pets without a service like mine, where they could make a last minute phone booking, get an acknowledgement, and leave without worrying.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ellen, thats hilarious about the odd couple! I can just see the dog shaking off the rabbit like debris when they'd had enough.

    ReplyDelete
  6. For many years I had a sable collie, overbred to 36" at the shoulder and cataracts by age 3. Eventually he was blind and then I could not shift the furniture. We were playing one day and he inadvertently bit through my watch crystal. I thought he would expire of mortification; he could not believe he had not hurt me. I finally put the watch on top of the refrigerator to to keep him from licking it back to life.
    I never had another dog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's exactly the way a dog apologizes. So upset at having hurt their human, or thinking they have. We can learn a lot from their courtesy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I lost a beloved pet sitter who moved away and have never found another...and yes, my tuxedo cat surprised her by flicking a knob on my stove and melting the bottom of my kettle on the burner. Fortunately no other harm done.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I bet I'd have guessed that was a tuxedo if you hadn't said so.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your talents know no bounds, Liz! I imagine a trusted pet sitter is worth her weight in gold. Can't quite get the image of the giant schnauzers ripping the front of your skirt off! Yikes! Did they buy you another skirt?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Alas no. I didn't accept them as clients either. Couldn't afford the damage!

    ReplyDelete
  12. "When small animals were children's pets the kids were often very worried about leaving them, so I'd meet them and ask them for instructions, make notes and promise to be their pet's friend." You are a wise and kind woman, Boud!

    Wonderful stories! Especially Rushette! One never knows what will happen next with animals. Good pet-sitters are truly worth their weight in gold, as Becki says.

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
  13. So many stories yet. Maybe another installment another time.

    ReplyDelete
  14. At one point in my life, I used to hire a pet sitter for HRH the cat when I was out of town on trips. From her stories, it sounded like a very tough business to me! The pet sitter also had a black belt in taekwondo. So I figured she could handle HRH.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wondering if you ever tended any chickens? Probably not. They are not technically pets, I suppose.
    That job sounds like an extremely hard one. The hours alone would kill me. But an interesting one.
    Glad you're enjoying Elizabeth Strout. I finished listening to "Oh William" yesterday and very much enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The hours are tough. But it was a great choice for someone making art whi needed daylight hours. I don't think many people could have kept up the pace, true.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Chickens aren't permitted by zoning here, so the question didn't arise. House pets are the population. Yes, the hours were tough, but it was the best chance to support myself solo and make art.

    ReplyDelete
  18. For the most part (exception possibly the skirt tearing) sounds like a job of love. We've had dogs, cats, fish, a hamster, a ferret, chickens, ducks, a rabbit and I think that's all. And, all are were loved and all are missed.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a lovely post, I got to see a whole new side of your life. I've lived with 12 dogs, and six cats. And I rode horses since I was about eiight. I couldn't imagine life without animals close. You provided such a meaningful service for the owners.

    And of all my dogs, my Dalmatian and my German Shepherd had the best sense of humor. My current Lab mix, Faith, has the best understanding of English and is the most obedient and eager to please, to look after me, to be concerned about me of all of my dogs.

    I would say the smartest, but I believe every dog is smart in a way that works for their breed and what they see as their purpose in life.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Rottweilers have a great sense of humor, if you like slapstick! A rottie joke is to barrel up behind you, knock you flat then stand over you, wagging and laughing. That was fun, jump up and I'll do it again!

    ReplyDelete
  21. It takes a special kind of person to undertake pet-sitting even if only from the time it takes standpoint. I'm the 'on call' person for a couple of my friends and I don't know what they would do if they couldn't call on me. Not having anyone to look after them in our absence is why we no longer have pets. It's nice now to be able to decide to take a day away and not have to scramble to find someone. Mind you, the 'day away' hasn't happened much since Covid!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your post reminds me of a sign I saw in a store window in Oban, Scotland last weekend: "Dogs Allowed with Well Behaved Owners." Had to laugh at how appropriate it was.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!