Saturday, October 2, 2021

Speaking of rose of Sharon..

The seeds are here. Already. They must have caught a following wind.



They  need to he soaked for 12 hours. I'm going to reserve some, just because. 

The germination takes 7-60 days, it says! Sounds like hedging your bets!

But I'm ready to go. See the pot, newly dampened soil.

My across the street neighbor stopped over earlier to double-check about separating her potbound Boston Fern. I confirmed that she could literally saw vertically through the roots, soak it well then  repot each half. 

I'm glad to say she didn't offer me half. I originally gave her this one, the great grandchild of my original one, fed up of the endless debris coming off it, pretty or not. So I'm happy it's living with her. She's about two years overdue to divide it. 

Also two more tiny moringa sprouted in the wrong pot, so I've transplanted them. At this point I'm using a teaspoon for my gardening, everything miniaturized. 

Fingers crossed for successful germination of the Rose of Sharon, everyone!

16 comments:

  1. That is a very quick delivery! But germination time a bit more hit and miss! I look forward to seeing the results.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'll see. It's always a wondering game. I did have the presence of mind to mark the planting with toothpicks.

      Delete
  2. I can't wait to see baby plants!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 7 - 60 days? I'm constantly pulling up seedling from my blue/purple one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can just stick those seedlings back into the soil and watch them grow! I eventually planted a hedge around the back yard fence. The new owner dug it up. I'm sure he cursed me.

      Delete
  4. Every time I hear of that flower, I think of the pregnant teenage character in "The Grapes of Wrath" who was named "Rose of Sharon" or, as her family pronounced it, "Rosasharn."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Will the seeds show roots first, or stem, I wonder.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fascinating. Now you have me considering What to Do with my mother's Christmas Cactus. At the moment it's sitting in the front hall where the light is, on an old repurposed treadle sewing machine frame. Silly thing weighs nearly 50 pounds, and I would like to separate it and reduce the size. It blooms from Christmas onward, well into June, so I suspect it was originally more than one plant. Mother had it for decades and I got it from her house after she died, 20 years ago.

    Im wondering if it might be better to just unravel a bit of root and start a new plant from that...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds as if you have enough to share with the neighborhood. I had a lovely Christmas, well, Thanksgiving cactus but the only place it did well was on top of the refrig. Right warmth, right light, no drafts. But we couldn't really see it!

      Delete
  7. They root easily from cuttings also if you know someone with an existing bush.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know of only one bush, and it's a color I don't much like. That's why I'm choosing what I would like to look at. Still hopeful about the deeds. theyre really not common around here, probably because most of the landscaping is the official stuff, easy to trim etc

      Delete
  8. Good luck with the seeds and glad to hear you marked them so there's no chance of forgetting what they are (which is exactly what I would do)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hopeless at it. But finding the moringas in the same pot as the philodendron was annoying enough to remind me to do it.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!