Tuesday, October 5, 2021

Dentists, pumpkins and cats

Today was the annual dental check-up at which I get x-rays, cleaning, polishing, dentist chatting about his grandchildren while looking in my mouth, then he says nothing to do here. So they empty my wallet and I come home.

And, exactly like this time last year, in the exact same stretch of road, a loud clang which nearly sent me off the road, announcing low tire pressure. I guess the Fit has decided that this, too, is an annual occurrence. 

On the way home was the farm, with cute figures, pumpkins to pick and other fall ideas.


Here's my haul. 

Misfits is not due till Friday, managed to change back the delivery day, and I ran out of fruit. I tend to panic without fruit. Also tomatoes. The pumpkin is a sugar, pie, one. After it's served its purpose on the step, before the squirrels eat it.


And here's the wooden cat getting into the act, testing various ideas. No, I didn't make it. It's folk art, except made with power tools. I found it at the dumpster. It likes my step so it's lived here for years. The daisies are Montauk, the very last thing to come into bloom in my yard. My couple of square yards.


22 comments:

  1. Yay for you and the dental exam!
    A pumpkin pie sounds very good. Out of curiosity- have you ever made a sweet potato pie? I actually prefer those over pumpkin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't like pie of any kind. The pumpkin is described around here as a pie pumpkin or sugar pumpkin, meaning it's small and good for cooking.

      The big ones are very fibrous, not such good flavor and texture for cooking.

      This one will be an excellent soup or possibly part of the filling of a pasty. Or both, who knows.

      Delete
  2. Good for you for going to the dentist!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a track record of not having trouble there, so that helps.

      Delete
  3. I had a wooden cat statue like that at one time! Except mine was painted to look like a chocolate point siamese.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think mine's just a nice stripy street cat.

      Delete
  4. my semi annual at the dentist is next month. all booked up this month. I'm not a big pumpkin pie fan though I did make one from an actual pumpkin when I was much younger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pie involves crust which I don't like. If handsome Son brings one at Thanksgiving I'll eat a piece to be friendly but it's not a thing I'd make.

      Delete
  5. What a pretty scene by your door. So inviting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like your haul from the farm. That's how large mine would be. Three apples = six days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am used to having an apple every day mid morning. I make sure to buy enough to last till the next delivery. These will be okay to Thursday then Friday the box arrives.

      Delete
  7. It looks beautiful outside your front door. The daisies, the little pumpkin and kitty, and the birdfeeder in the sage plant you showed in an earlier post.☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your comment posted twice, so I deleted one.
      It does photograph well. Today was a grey day so the colors stood out.

      Delete
    2. Ah! I wondered if it posted at all. I was posting from my phone and not logged into Google, so I logged in, but couldn't tell if it posted. I backed out and decided to just check back to see if the comment took. And lo and behold, or some reason Blogger hiccupped and evidently posted it twice. Weird, but that's the story. :)

      Delete
    3. Nothing about blogger surprises me.

      Delete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do like your cat! Your doorstep looks very pretty.
    I've only eaten pumpkin pie once, when we were in Canada, and wasn't impressed. Maybe it was the wrong sort of pumpkin.

    ReplyDelete
  10. About the tire pressure thing - did you recently get your tires changed over to the winter ones? That could be causing it.
    p.s. noticed your comment that you don't like pie crust - there's a great recipe for an impossible pie that uses pumpkin. Forms a bit of a 'crust' but not like traditional pie crust.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's no changing tires here. Year round same tires. A few cooler nights tends to reduce tire pressure. Gary inflated it, and I've recalibrated the tpms,, so clever of us both.

      Delete
    2. I just don't like pie. Pasties yes, crumble, yes, cobbler maybe, pie not really.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!