Sunday, October 3, 2021

Vegetable stock and figure face

I finally got that bag of clippings from Misfits vegetables out of the freezer to make stock. Added salt, olive oil, simmered quite a while.

Then I strained out the exhausted veggies, and strained the liquid once again, through fabric, in case of grit, you never know.

I tasted it and it's much like the vegetable stock I've bought from Misfits readymade. So I got a couple of quarts ready for soup. I've been meaning and  forgetting to do this for ages.

In between bouts of sneezing, something flinging new pollen around, despite wearing a mask for walking, I've managed a bit of stitching. The beginning of the trapunto work.

A local friend says these are sculptures and I should say so. I've avoided the word, from experience of nonart people being put off by arty words and not enjoying the works. We'll see.

Friend C. of embroiderers' guild  days, sent me a wonderful link to a fiber related online magazine, Tatter. I spent a while on the essays in volume 1 and was very impressed.

Here it is


While I was browsing I saw this essay about rag slippers and the significance of them.

These are more like flip-flops which I can't wear, but I realized I can make a woven pair from fabric scraps, using my weaving sticks. 

I'll use the same shape as the knitted ones many of which I've made. They'll end up quite different from these in the picture, but the same thing, if you follow me.

Thank you C! Loads more to read and learn from in Tatter.


14 comments:

  1. We are coming into soup season here too. Cooler days mean hot soups in my book. Soup stock is a great place to start!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've knit slippers and crocheted slippers, but never woven a pair. One crocheted pair I made my uncle he brought back years later to be resoled. I put on a double sole.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the eyes on the new doll face. She's showing some personality already. Since winter is coming on having vegetable broth in the freezer is as good as money in the bank!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting way to make slippers. I imagine they must be comfortable to wear.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how you study techniques and then make them your very own, thus creating art in ways from textiles to cooking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I've never been one for following linear processes.

      Delete
  6. this new doll looks to be bigger than the previous ones judging by the size of the face compared to your hand showing on the edge of the hoop. the rag slippers are interesting. makes me realize, again, how wasteful we are as a society.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The face area is delineated inside there. In order to have room to stitch you always use a bigger area in a hoop. At this point the outline of the face is hard to detect in pictures.

      I like the the plan for new slippers, to use up scraps.

      Delete
    2. I forgot to say this is a flattened image. Once the head is assembled, the facial area will look smaller, because it will be 3D.

      Delete
  7. Nice sculpture - what will be the end product? Framed? Pillow? A head?

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a new-to-me magazine which I will definitely check out. Looking forward to the evolution of the latest doll - so far it looks very intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think you would like Tatter. Lot of interesting thinking as well as ideas.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!