Sunday, October 10, 2021

Assembling and taking apart

I had a few adventures in cooking and art breaking-down yesterday. Destruction precedes creation.

The cooking was about a veggie mix with a blue cheese sauce 

Steamed broccoli, the remains of the roasted cauliflower, microwaved fingerling potatoes, which were very good, the blue ones a pale color inside. And I made some sort of sauce with crumbled Gorgonzola, bit of mayonnaise, whole milk, Worcestershire sauce, dry mustard, salt, pepper, minced garlic. It came out pretty well and there's enough for today, too.

I think this would be a good dish with roasted chicken or hot sausage added in, too.


But it was fine just with the vegetables.

Then I was wandering about upstairs looking for materials to complete the current figure and found a piece, an assemblage of molded handmade paper, from long ago, exhibited, some sold, the rest came home, eventually hanging on the second floor stair.


Sorry about the angle. It was hanging high up.

Not being a conservator I thought these would be great raw material, having served their purpose. 

They were great fun to make, molding wet paper pulp over various tools, pliers, knives, spoons, rollers, cookie molds, and, once dry and, the tools removed, spraying the molded paper pieces with gold. Hung it looked like a weighty metal piece. Men liked this, men often seem to like metal. But it's not heavy,  very light in weight. And this was long ago, so it's time for it to move on.

And I took the pieces off the background, I noticed that one was already repurposed.


It was a print I pulled off a wood engraving, which I had already exhibited in a show of prints of all kinds.  So I reused it in this piece. And it may be used yet again. Handmade paper is tough stuff. In fact the paper I used here was my earlier paper which I repulped.

Here are more. You'll notice human forms and faces seeming to show up, from the molded impressions of tools. A trick of the brain I think.


This is the front of that printed piece



I assembled a few pieces just as rough drafts. Nothing decided yet, but I thought you might like to wander along with me 


The background of the work is a piece of foam core, which I will probably cut into to make a base for the current figure to stand on. And the lath I made the frame from might be internal supports.  There will be more fabric, too. 

I'm now thinking about reusing the molded paper piece from this work for a future figure.

Several of the pieces from this series were bought out of my exhibit, then eventually left to me, so I inherited them. and now they're getting another life.

As always, we'll see!

14 comments:

  1. Very creative as always. Have you any clue how to keep baking soda from clumping when wet? Trying an experiment here...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think it clumps if there's enough water with it. But whether that's a solution ( see what I did there?) depends on your purpose. Now I'm curious!

      Delete
    2. So the secret is the solution--yes I did see!

      Delete
  2. You are such a creative woman and I will write down that quote, "destruction precedes creation".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's why a little kid taking his toys apart is probably fizzing with ideas about things to do with the parts!

      Delete
  3. I've done that, disassembled work that didn't sell and reused the parts or they are just waiting for further inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would eat anything with that blue cheese dressing on it.
    As to seeing human faces:
    "This phenomenon is known as pareidolia – the tendency for perception to impose a meaningful interpretation on inanimate objects – and is responsible for people seeing faces in the moon, gnarled wood or even images of Jesus or the Virgin Mary on toast."
    Interesting, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My favorite is Jesus on toast! Or Mary in a pothole.

      Delete
  5. This is an interesting concept. It's always a good thing to recycle even art work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good thing to reuse old pieces that have served their time. Once in a while I've been approached about a work I exhibited a year ago, to buy it, one time the township wanting a big metal Tin Quilt for permanent installation. Too late! I thought it was funny, they were aghast. They thought art is forever. Noooooo.. I'd long since dismantled and used the pieces for new works, some of them already sold.

      Delete
  6. Always so interesting! I love that molded paper sculpture (would you call it a sculpture)? And just as I was wondering if it felt hard to take it apart and reuse pieces of it, you nonchalantly say "no", basically. Looking forward to seeing your new creation!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm with you in re-designing something into something new which absolutely horrifies many people. I liked the assemblage as it was but now I'm looking forward to seeing what it WILL be.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!