Thursday, October 28, 2021

Textiles and Tea, and other desperate situations

This was Tuesday, and as you'll see, led me right off into an additional train of thought, adding to the Penn Station of my mind..lead us not into Penn Station..


This artist works in nuno felting. It's sheet felting where you take roving and open weave fabric and using soap and friction, bond them permanently to create a new fabric. It's good for hangings, clothing, any fabric application. Very labor intensive, very beautiful.

She also creates three dimensional felted sculptures, some enormous, all wonderful. And she continually credits other feltmakers with influencing and collaborating with her. Generous artist. She sells wearable and useful pieces, like these:


Here's a photograph showing nature as the subject of this vessel.


A massive 8' × 5' piece, about the work of leaving the cocoon. About any difficult, long task, including everyday life.



She loves hats, as you see, and sells them Scarves, too, created nuno style



This is faery-like, a wearable sculpture.
Much more on her website, address in the introductory picture.

So really, after watching this for an hour, what's a person to do? 

I've done felting before, ranging from shrinking wool sweaters for slipper and hat fabric, to felting soap, and since I had roving and a figure in progress, obviously, despite it being late at night, I was swept up. A Helpless Prawn of Fate yet again.

This is what happened. Aluminum bowl, silk roving, bubble wrap, meat tenderizer

look

Friction, pounding, cold water and soap, boiling water to shock the fibers



Molded on an aluminum bowl, approximately my hat size for comparison


Now dry, and because a lot of it's silk roving, delicate, partially felted. Silk doesn't feit much, okay for the figure, maybe a wig, TBD. 

If I'd wanted a tougher piece, wearable for me,  I'd have incorporated wool roving. But this delicate shape was the idea.

At some point I may make myself a hat, wool roving with strands of other fibers for interest. And I'm also thinking of sheet felting for that skirt I was thinking about weaving. Two panels of felt, knitted side panels, same roving, spun for knitting. 

What look like wild tangents often are just a disguised continuation of one train of thought. A long, varied, one.
admittedly. A lot of cargo.

Anyway, check out Dawn Edwards' website, she's worth studying.


10 comments:

  1. Beautiful hat
    The process must feel rewarding when it turns into wearable art.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so interesting, I, of course, never heard of any of these things. But then, that's what's so much fun with blogging, always something new to learn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm very glad I combined the two blogs, to bring new ideas to readers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the nimble way your mind works, taking in information and ideas that you then incorporate into whatever projects you are doing.
    Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We never know when inspiration will strike!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A lovely roving. Looking forward to the outcome.

    ReplyDelete
  7. what's the purpose of the metal ring? and here's a perfect example of why it's good to have a lot of materials available.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's the ring on the mixing bowl. And yes, why you and I can't live in a tiny house!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love watching how your mind morphs! It's always interesting to see how you take the inspiration from these videos and apply it to your own work. Now it's going to be fascinating to see how you carry this onwards.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I do get a jolt of energy from them.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!