Saturday, October 9, 2021

Happy Thanksgiving weekend, Canadian friends, and otherSaturday offerings

Every Saturday on Twitter, the ELG, East London Group, posts this image of a wonderful painting by Brynhild Parker.

Every Saturday morning this appears in my timeline, and it's become part of my life really.  There's more to see and feel each time I see it.

She was active from the 1920s on, illustrated books and created posters, as well as exhibiting paintings. There's a current exhibit open in the UK of two other ELG  members, the  Steggles brothers. 

Most of the group were working class people from the east end of London, who were talented artists. 

They were windowcleaners, office workers, construction workers,  and had to take breaks in making art when they couldn't afford materials. But they developed major reputations and had some significant exhibits. Parker exhibited with them but was from an affluent art centered family, went to the Slade, different kind of life.  All are well worth looking up.

And here's excitement near home


It looks as if one of the Rose of Sharon seedlings has germinated. Unless it's something else. My current track record doesn't give me total confidence, but anyway something's growing next to the toothpick.

And here's some terrific harvest related crafting, snd I'd credit the maker if I knew who. That spiral piece is so beautiful.

This kind of work used to have religious significance as well as pagan origins, about thanks for the harvest and hopes to continue. Debra, can you shed more light?


Anyway, it's here to wish Canadian blogistas a happy Thanksgiving  weekend. 

And speaking of seasons, we're into Season five of the microseasons.



Just a few words is enough to get the feeling of the slow steady changes outdoors.


Indoors a bit of movement with the figure. It's off the hoop, gathered into a ball shape and stuffed.

Next I have to search for materials to mount the headpiece. I'm not thinking of a human body for this one, more of a pillar or something. Still considering the next bit.

So that's what's up chez Boud today. Happy weekend everyone.


17 comments:

  1. Yes, those are marvelous examples of "wheat weaving" which was (and still is) practised in many cultures -- for example, Ukrainian culture. I've always meant to take a course and try my hand at this craft. In other cultures, they are sometimes called "corn dollies" ("corn" being used as a generic term for any kind of grain). These symbols are usually made from the final harvest of a field and then retained until the next Spring to ensure a good crop for the next year. Sometimes corn dollies were made and buried in the fields for the same purpose, probably with accompanying rituals and spells.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I knew you were the right person to ask.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for the Thanksgiving wishes, firstly. My goodness, that was a very fast 'sprouting'!! I must admit to having a 'duh' moment when I saw the gathered face because I had absolutely NO inkling that was where you were going with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sprouting speed is what's making me wonder. But once we get foliage, we'll know better.

      I guess all is a bit clearer about the head now!

      Delete
  3. I love the wheat woven charms and hangings. Wish I were smart enough to do it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wonder, do they do the weaving while the stalks are still green and then let them dry or soak them somehow until pliable? but would dried stems ever become pliable? I do like the head of this figure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I understand it correctly the wheat is fully ripe but fresh picked. So I'm guessing it would still be pliable.

      The figure is coming along. I think it makes more sense to viewers now it's assembled.

      Delete
  5. I will echo your Thanksgiving wishes to our many Canadian friends! The new doll is taking shape. I like the thought of her becoming a non-human figure. She could even be a flower or a mermaid with her beautiful colors. Have fun with your wonderful creative talent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I've been cannibalizing old artworks for raw material for this one. More soon.

      Delete
  6. That painting reminds me for some reason of The Blue Door by Raymond Wintz. Are you familiar with it? It was one of my friend Lynn's favorite paintings and after she died, I found a lovely framed copy in an antique store. It lives with me now and like the painting by Parker, it offers a different perspective every time you look at it. Infinity via every day life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not familiar, so I'll look him up, thank you.

      Delete
    2. I checked and I see exactly what you mean. Yes, the light and the composition are similar. I always love paintings with windows, especially open with a breeze coming in. Thank you so much for mentioning him. I like this painting a lot.

      Delete
  7. She's cute. Wheat weaving can be quite intricate. They are country chic holiday ornaments that I buy when I see them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like the wheat works. I haven't seen anything like them for a long time.

      Delete
  8. All credit to the toothpick; I bet this is a rose of sharon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you're right. I rely on the expertise of blogistas here to advise me, when there's foliage.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!