Monday, April 19, 2021

Walking out in spring

 This is what happens in this neighborhood about now


Violets, not scented, just wild, dog I think, all over

 
First day of the dogwoods opening


This little feller's been there for years. I don't know if anyone owns and wants him -- he's a few yards outside a fence, on the edge of the trees -- so I end up leaving him there. I hope he doesn't get tossed.




Blossoms, maybe flowering crab?  Please correct if you know better.


More violets everywhere underfoot, which tells you this is damp ground.

Woodpeckers busy all around, crows shouting, Carolina wrens organizing territory, cardinals singing all their songs, a tree packed with mourning doves, like a convention bus dropped them off.

No toads yet. I expect to see one on my front path any day now.

This year the 17 year cicadas emerge. We don't get a lot in this neighborhood, just enough to know they're there and find them lying about on the sidewalks. 

I used to work in an office in cicada territory, old trees,  and the noise was dangerous to hearing. All doors and windows tight shut, still loud. Running to the car hands tight over ears. A few days of being reminded of the power of insects!  Every 17 years, long enough to forget from the last time.


11 comments:

  1. All very spring like, super. Love the dog violets.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful pictures! I love that flowering tree. Yes, cicadas do make themselves known, don't they?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this time of year! Love all the plants and the birdsong.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I spent a summer on a barrier island in the Gulf once, St. George Island. And the cicadas sang every night at sunset. It was deafening but magnificent. I could hear them tune up in one place and then began the waves of their choruses around the island. I will never forget.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The second year--seventeen years from the first time--the local fox pair brought the cubs down to the yard to eat emerging cicadas. We sat on the front porch and laughed and laughed at the cubbies, jumping to catch a cicada. Or not.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is hard for me to imagine the cicadas so loud as you describe. So interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the cicada stories from Mary and Joanne. Yes, I can see foxcubs hunting cicadas and missing

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like Spring is bustin' out all over!

    ReplyDelete
  9. the woodland violets are done here as are the flowering trees. nice to know Ms Spring has just relocated further north.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!