Monday, April 5, 2021

Squares and the frugal life, which goes on

 


The squares are still happening, and the yarn is fast being used up. We'll see what I can get out of it before then. Not planning on yarn shopping.

Which brings me to an interesting feature I read today about retirement ages in different states, the amount needed to live comfortably, and how much savings you'd need to retire.

My income is less than half the per capita required in my state, and I thought I lived comfortably.  I guess it all depends on what you call comfortable. I'm staggered at the size of savings required, though.  

I also note that it tends to be financial advisers who do all this arm waving.  Just a wry thought. I guess they would like their clients to continue to be able to pay them. Frugal folks like me whose default is not shopping probably don't feature in their business plan.

I also wonder at the young ages at which people retire. It's not all voluntary, we know. Some people find themselves pushed out in their early sixties. Others find health becomes a pressing issue.

But I've known people joyfully retire the minute they can, maybe from jobs they needed to get out of. And I notice how healthy people can deteriorate once they lose their daily structure, if they're not careful. How gloomy I sound. 

I just left exhibiting and teaching art in the last year, about twenty years beyond the typical age, partly because I want to use my energy for my own artwork without deadlines, partly because opportunity has not been there in the tactile arts in shutdown. Let's hope I don't go weak and feeble! At least not for a while.

Just musing here. 

And here's life going on in the Yorkshire dales, the daffodils of Farndale planted before the Reformation by the monks. Familiar to me from childhood.


Acres of them, by the river, over the fields, as far as you can see. This picture taken yesterday by a farmer and Twitter friend. Credit to Peter Mawson, whose farm abuts this sight. And site.

16 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Aren't they wonderful? I wait every year for Peter to post pix.

      Delete
  2. We feel we live comfortably but we lead simple lives. I guess if we were not as frugal or thrifty, we would find it tough financially. Such is not the case presently.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You sound more wise than gloomy.
    Fields of daffodils are amazing out there spreading around with nary a bit of gardner to tend them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The main thing is getting people to leave them alone. Nowadays there's an official preservation org to do that.

      Delete
  4. Agreed, everyone has their own standards of comfortable.
    I do think that if you've been active (as we have) most of your life, the body doesn't age nearly as fast. And we're not spendthrifts. We buy what we need, with the occasional indulgence, but nothing fiercely impractical (yes, I needed those Legos. So there.) i refuse to go through what's left of my life squeezing pennies that don't need to be squeezed.

    Those are beautiful daffodils. I can see why people would want to pick them. Too bad they have such a short bloom season...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been told I shop like a man: I need, not just want, a thing, go to where it is, get it, come home! Shopping and browsing and spending time isn't my thing. Even at the thriftie, I'm there for something specific.
      Of course there are men who love to browse hardware stores, full of aspirational dreams..or auto parts maybe.

      Delete
  5. I wandered lonely as a cloud
    That floats on high o'er vales and hills,
    When all at once I saw a crowd,
    A host of golden daffodils;
    Beside the lake, beneath the trees,
    Fluttering and dancing in the breeze.

    I had an English professor in the sixties who insisted we memorize Wordsworth. There were worse trials in other classes. He saw that "host" while out walking with his sister, but I don't recall where.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably Grasmere in the Lake District where he lived with sister Dorothy. It's in what's now Cumbria, rather than Yorkshire, but same kind of sight.

      I've come to appreciate him more with age, but I didn't like him at all at school. No fire! I liked Dylan Thomas at that time. My teachers were shocked.

      Delete
  6. I understand what you say about retirement. The amount of money they say you should have in order to retire is more than we would ever have! The only way we could retire was to pay off our house and other bills first then we could afford to live on SS and hold on to savings for emergencies.

    Those daffodils are beyond gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The son of a friend told us a few years ago you can't retire with less than a million dollars. She and I looked at each other and burst out laughing. Too late now!

      Delete
  7. It's hard to know what "might" be needed for future days. But I think we all adjust as we must when those future days arrive. Lovely field of daffodils.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My husband is slowly sliding towards a sort of retirement and has been doing so since Covid started. He's still involved in his work and can do a lot of it from home and I am glad that he's still got a little of it but I am also so happy to see him able to take on things, do things, that he's yearned to do for so long. I think he is far busier now than he was in some regards before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What's very good is that his activities are largely physical. Very satisfying seeing results, and healthy too.

      Delete
  9. Husband always says that I'm cheap to keep. I suppose my only foolishness is my hair about once every two months or so, lockdown allowing.
    Daffs planted in the reformation? Wow! How glorious they must look

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!