Sunday, April 25, 2021

Plum torte or tart, and Mitered Square Jacket progress

This is the Marian Burros recipe that appeared any number of times in the New York Times, and was reprinted in other people's collections. 

I think my copy is from Arthur Schwartz, who credited her and pointed out that it sometimes appeared as tart, sometimes as torte. I think tart's a misprint, because this has a cake dough, not a pastry one.

Anyway here it is, been waiting ages for plums to make it with. They've been hard to find for a couple of years, wonder if there were late frosts cutting back the harvest.

I divided the butter half and half Kerrygold and regular supermarket, mainly because I forgot to thaw out butter to use ahead of time, so I used what was available.


Here's the doings. The lemon juice, cinnamon and sugar are for sprinkling after it's mixed and assembled. The plum pits went out for the squirrels, who will probably run away in top of the fence and bite into them, leaving the shells for me to sweep.

And here's  how it looks with the halved plums studding the batter. One hour at 350°f.

The house smells lovely right now.

And here's the result

I expect Handsome Son and maybe a neighbor or two will help with this.

Meanwhile I've been stitching Mitered Squares. 

It's like stitching your way out of a maze. Very confusing. I think I may be about a third done but who knows.

16 comments:

  1. I bet whoever shares that tart will be thrilled to do so!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I've ever seen a dessert of any kind constructed quite like that, halves of fruit instead of sliced up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great to eat. Important to keep the skin up, so the plums stay moist in baking.

      Delete
  3. Yes, about plums this last year or so. I stopped buying them because the flavor and consistency has been so yucky. Your plum tort looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Plum tart/torte and mitered squares! If I still had my President of Future Homemakers of America from the 8th grade, I would give it to you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That cake looks good -- and you can "stick in your thumb and pull out a plum and say "what a good girl am I"!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if Little Jack Horner was actually eating torte. Pretty upscale nursery rhyme.

      Delete
  6. That looks delicious! I've eaten tortes but not a plum one. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one's just right. Plums not too sweet, very juicy. No need to add anything though I think people add cream or something. For me there's enough going on.

      Delete
  7. Why do you have plums in April? From Peru or Ecuador?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Misfits sources mostly in the US. From small organic farms.

      Delete
  8. The torte looks decadent. Absolutely worth the making and the eating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not hard to make, considering how good it is. The Irish butter helped with the decadent aspect.

      Delete
  9. I love your down-to-earth food, Liz. I've never eaten plums baked into anything, but your torte has me dreaming of peach cobbler - it very much behaves like your torte. The peaches laid on top, then the batter grows around them as it bakes.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!