Sunday, April 25, 2021

Rainbow soup and visual aids

Complete with newly blooming dandelion. Is this not a lovely edible landscape? The dandelions self established in my pot of chives, now in its maybe tenth year with no care whatever other than being cut and eaten, as you see.

This is what happens when you make carrot cashew soup with rainbow carrots, all shades from darkest red to pale gold including a couple of the orange colored ones. 

Old Bay seasoning, onions, garlic, cubed yellow potato left from having slices removed to plant, some small hard shell green squash, name escapes me,  Swanson vegetable broth. I've definitely forsaken the handy broth cubes except for digestive emergencies, in favor of this stuff.

Speaking of potatoes, I noticed when I went out to throw out the squash seeds and rinds for Squirrel Butternut, that he or a crony, had dug up the container of my newly planted potato sections. 

I remembered that I should have put out my sovereign squirrel repellent, essential peppermint oil, on half a dozen q tips, buried around inside the rim of the pot. That usually works. 

My hands will smell of it for ages, also the Mitered Square Jacket I was stitching on, little brag inserted there, but it's an okay scent really. 

This is the real thing, not a food for eating, not the pale imitation you get in the baking section. You need to get it from your local herbalist or online. Not cheap, but effective. I expect it has other uses, but this is the only one I have for it.

Which warning about essential peppermint oil, and other absent mindedness, brings me to visual aids.

I like to transfer grains and pasta to glass containers to outwit ants and others, and always think it's obvious how long to cook them. It would be if I stuck around watching and testing, but I wander off and get involved in other things, and the timer recalls me to the stuff on the stove. So in order not to be guessing and missing, and forgetting it entirely and being alerted by the smoke alarm, I attach the instructions Dick and Jane style, to the container. So clever.

And a stern reminder on the inedible peppermint oil that this is Not Food, if its position next to the qtips weren't enough.

This is what I've come to, yes.

12 comments:

  1. I also put my beans and rice and pasta in glass jars but usually just cut the cooking directions off the bag or box and stick it in the jar. I like your idea better as sometimes the instructions get lost.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to do that but sometimes the instructions would get buried. This is easier, only one extra step.

      Delete
  2. That is a beautifully presented bowl of soup. I keep my rice in a container and cut the instructions off the box and tape it on the outside of the container, like you did.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, you may need visual aids but obviously you are still quite aware of what you are doing and how to do it. I admire you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I transfer to glass jars, too, but usually stuff the instructions down the inside. Sometimes I have to shake the stuff off to read the instructions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got annoyed with having to fish about for the instructions.

      Delete
  5. I three also post the instructions on the outside of the jar I transfer bulk grains into. You are not alone, Boud!

    When we store orchard mason bee cocoons in the fridge over winter, we mark the container clearly. NOT a little crunchy to sprinkle onto granola...:-)

    Chris from Boise

    PS Oven may need only a $40 part and careful replacement by competent husband. Fingers crossed (though I had visions of a Thermonster floating in my dreams...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A competent husband is priceless!
      Why do you store ombcs in the fridge??

      Delete
    2. I usually harvest them into the fridge in late January when we start having intermittent warm days. We don't want them to emerge as adults till there are blossoms available for nectar and pollen - usually late March.

      CfB

      Delete
  6. One thing I do not miss is a back yard full of squirrels! (No big trees yet) They regularly would dig up a newly potted item, throw it on the ground, and plant a pecan instead! I like to plant various kinds of seeds from bought fruits/veggies, just to see what might happen. Kinda fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have millions of old trees in nj. Squirrel paradise.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!