Friday, April 9, 2021

Library and blossom catching up

 Still in Olivia Goldsmith, and today picked up two more attractions, print books this time

And the current Bite Club selection


On the way home, after chats with a couple of friends,  into the park, lovely blossoms smelling like honey



And lovely other blossoms, without smelling of anything other than spring.

And forsythia in the park, all sprawling about, the way I like it, not all tailored and neat the way nature isn't



And my little patio cherry bushes returning after I pruned them down wildly because the fences were going to be replaced any minute. Last summer, that was.

Spice bush likewise


And this little plant is back underfoot, I think chickweed not sure.

 The English version of this smells like ripe apples when you pinch the flower. 

Asparagus here soon. When I grew it, I'd bite the tips off newly picked stems, tasted like green peas. 

Then home to reading, knitting and Irish soda bread



The aggrieved expression on this loaf cracks me up. I bet her relief $$ hasn't come.

Not a bad line-up, all in all.



12 comments:

  1. I have not yet read that one from Alexander McCall Smith and oh, now I must! I love those books. They are so calming and kind.
    Looks like you're enjoying your spring and I am sure that anyone who is fortunate enough to eat some of your Irish soda bread will enjoy THAT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a treat to see a new Smith in the shelf. Came out last year.

      Delete
  2. glad to see spring making it's way to you. not chickweed. looks like some kind of sow thistle. I'm trying to get through all the #1 Ladies Detective Agency books in the order written.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the sow thistle suggestion. Now I'm wondering, because this exact plant in north Yorkshire was known as chickweed, but in the US a different plant has that name. So maybe sow thistle it is. The stems are only a couple of inches long, so it hugs the ground. But yes, it's like a multi flowered little dandelion, as the descriptions say. I'm glad I posted it.

      I just read the no.1Ladies in any order I could find them. I have a couple of rl friends what much prefer to read any series in order of appearance.

      Delete
    2. Who, not what, where did that come from.

      Delete
  3. Have you put anything in it? I'm eating the most fantastic loaf right now (from my market), cherry, cranberry, walnut loaf.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just soda bread with golden raisins, Irish butter, very good. Maybe another time more additions. I like adding walnuts.

      Delete
  4. Lovely to see the blossoms in the trees, we are not at that stage yet but soon, I hope, as the weather is looking sunny and hopeful.
    I have only read one of those Smith McCall books, and I have never tried another one.
    Yes the yellow flower is Sow thistle, there are three kinds.... prickly sow thistle, smooth sow thistle and perennial sow thistle, I looked it up in my English wild flowers book. I also looked up chickweed and it's nothing like this.... they must be daft in North Yorkshire!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nature has awakened. Your soda bread looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've always meant to read Alexander McCall Smith's No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency series, but have never gotten around to it (yet!) My gawd, he's a prolific writer -- always with a new book out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He has a lot of series going, too, but I'm less fond of the ones set in europe

      Delete
  7. My chickweed naming memory may be at fault. Evidently this plant is edible. Yet another local edible.

    The soda bread is really good. Definitely worth trying.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!