Friday, April 23, 2021

An encore post. Misfits musings

 I completely forgot it was Friday when I wrote earlier. Then my Misfits box arrived several hours early, and I set to work prepping and photoing. So you're stuck with a second post 



I like this handy sheet. On the other side it tells you how to use them. Judging from the questions on the Misfits Twitter account, a lot of people are unfamiliar with varieties of veggies and need a bit of a tute  I suspect it's because they haven't seen veggies as they grow, with roots and outside leaves. Nor a large variety of produce unless they have a local Asian market.

When I first started buying mushrooms from the Kennett Square growers at the local farmer's market they would hand out mushroom guides with cooking suggestions for people who'd had white button mushrooms and not much else in stores. Great idea. 

So here's today's lovely haul. I was able to buy extras of some items with the new setup, so I got extra carrots, plums, ginger and onions as well as various other great stuff, including huge dandelion greens. Spring tonic.

And I got a supply of quinoa at about literally one fifth of the cost locally, where I've only seen it in tiny expensive amounts. I've wondered how friends in other states could afford to eat it so casually. Now I know. I guess I don't live in a target market for it.


After a lengthy period of washing and draining and chopping and wiping and peeling and freezing, I had a very good lunch.

These greens were as crisp as if I'd just run out back and picked them. Strawberries totally ripe.

Salad of leaf lettuce, dandelion greens, celery, roma tomato, rainbow carrot, dressed with crumbled blue cheese, ribbon of mayonnaise. Dessert was perfect strawberries, labneh, chocolate chips.

Fit for a queen. Because I'm worth it!

I have plans for various meals. Plum torte, which I make any year I can get plums, carrot cake with labneh frosting, celery and dandelion soup, for starters. My neighbors are in for a few treats, too.

Watch this space!


10 comments:

  1. I will watch indeed. The weeks go by so quickly from one box of misfits to the next!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that looks like a perfect lunch. I'm looking forward to seeing your Plum torte!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the Marian Burros one, you can find it online I expect. Sometimes called a tart, sonetimes a torte. I think torte is nearer.

      Delete
  3. August and Levon would have been delighted with your dessert- they beg for chocolate chips on and in everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I dont like chocolate in bars, but chips I can handle. They're festive!

      Delete
  4. Wonderful looking box of good stuff! Jealous here!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your salad AND dessert are beautiful!

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!