Friday, April 23, 2021

Simple food, a good book, simple stuff I'm not good at.

Out of soup yesterday and out of clever meal ideas, I assembled a mushroom omelet, sliced baby bellas from the freezer, two eggs, no fancy seasoning, whole wheat bread spread with labneh. Easy. Ready in no time.


And it didn't take up  time from the latest reading. I found a Leon I hadn't read, a Brunetti, and it's very good.  Reading it comfortably on my Kindle. I can't read ebooks on any device with a refreshing screen, migraine ensues.


A lot of reading reminds me of two things, one being I need a new rx so I have to see the eye doctor. The other is that one of the sorrows of losing Handsome Partner is that until his last years he used to clean my glasses, and that's gone.

He'd worn glasses since early childhood, was totally used to the care of them. I started in my fifties and was hopeless at remembering to wash them. 

I'd be peering through a fog of crumbs and thumbprints, and he'd give a roar of exasperation, whip the specs off my face and clean them. He took to doing this whenever he washed his own specs. I got used to this, and, solo again, I've slid back into my slovenly ways. 

I'll mend my ways when I get new glasses, honest. I say this every time. It doesn't last long before I'm squinting through buttery smears, but I always mean well.

14 comments:

  1. Last night before he took his shower, Mr. Moon handed me his glasses and said, "Would you attend to these? You're so good at it."
    Ha!
    And of course I did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh, there's nothing worse than dirty glasses. It only takes a minute to clean them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always been very nervous about scratching the lens, so expensive, so fragile despite all the extra coatings I get etc. They're by far the most expensive assist I have. This is what drives the reluctance.

      Delete
    2. Ditto! So mine are speckled and splotched too :-(

      Chris from Boise

      Delete
  3. Isn’t it amazing how such simple things as cleaning one’s glasses reminds us of our loved one? We really do carry our beloved with us for the rest of our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like your HP, I have also worn glasses since childhood and clean them regularly. Makes the world look bright and sunny! Hmmm - freeze mushrooms. Haven't tried that - will have to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think lifetime use removes the fear factor from cleaning lenses.

      Delete
  5. I love the Brunetti series on TV. A book should be nice summer reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's one of those series that's good either way. For years the TV was only available in German

      Delete
  6. We often have omelets for dinner. I do better reading on a Kindle too as any type of glare makes it difficult for me to see. I use those special little cloths for glasses to clean mine. However, if I have been working outside on a hot day I will wash them with mild soap and water and then use the special cloth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Andy used to really wash them and dry and polish with the special cloth. I tend to get spattered when I cook, so I should be washing them better.

      Delete
  7. I never think to wash mine, even though I've been wearing them since I was 7: I just huff on them and use whatever shirt tail is handy. My husband is like you, though, he actually picks his glasses up by the lenses augh augh augh...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!