Sunday, April 18, 2021

From Stodge to the Stars

Getting a bit tired of toast for breakfast and absolutely not up to making oatmeal in the morning, nor of remembering to start it the previous night, I came across a many ingredient recipe for Oatmeal Breakfast Bars. Approved by -- a hospital dietician. Oh. 

That explained the low fat, no fat, no sugar, vigorous attempts to avoid anything that might carry flavor. Despite decades of research showing that low-fat isn't the great thing some people still believe. And that sugar in moderation is fine. 

Our local hospital serves terrific food from a kitchen where good cooks work. No doubt they know about nutrition, too, but they keep the flavor, too. Just a shout out for hospital food which can be good if it tries.

Anyway back to the dietician, one ingredient was a ready made shopbought spread, which shall remain nameless, filled with additives, subtractives, preservatives, derivatives, exchange traded funds, and who knows what else. Not that I have strong opinions on this.  

But I adapted happily, because the basic idea looked okay.


It needed applesauce, which I didn't have any of, never do, really. But I did have two Granny Smiths, so first I made applesauce. Of  which I used extra, to account for the missing spread stuff.

And since the recipe wanted brown sugar and unsweetened a. sauce, also vanilla, I did my usual sub for brown sugar, just cooking down molasses with white, and added in the vanilla. All at once.  

One of the features of Granny Smiths is that they keep their shape. So after gentle cooking down a while, I mashed them  with the pastry cutter. Worked fine. 


Here's the oats, whole wheat flour, raisins, b. powder, cinnamon, salt. And an egg beaten into milk, whole not skim (!)


And there's the trusty pastry cutter, ready for its off-piste foray into an off-piste applesauce.

And about half an hour at 350°f, ended in these sturdy items. They're better than you might expect.  Not a ringing endorsement, I realize, but okay and will be eaten. Easy breakfasts.

Then dinner soon followed and I think I swiped this from the divine Mrs Moon.

Cauliflower, roasted with crumbles of blue cheese, kosher salt, excellent pepper, this stuff really is worth sending away for, Greek olive oil, sliced onions.



 Then after about 20 minutes at 400°f, tossed about a bit, then about 15 minutes more.


Nicely browned and tender, then I tossed it in lemon juice and plenty of capers.

Here's the nice thing about living alone and cooking. If you want just one food for dinner, that's what you have. There's nobody asking what else is happening, is that it, etc.

It was very good indeed, a new departure from my limited repertoire of cauliflower recipes which usually mean soup or a cheese sauce. 

This is a whole lot more interesting, and if it was from you, Mary, thank you. And there's more for tomorrow. At that point it will be a room temperature salad kind of dish. 

13 comments:

  1. One food meals are the standard here. Sometimes I feel guilty, and throw in some frozen peas or corn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "filled with additives, subtractives, preservatives, derivatives, exchange traded funds, and who knows what else" - brilliant writing, Liz!

    My Mike has been off hiking for about three weeks, and I am SO enjoying cooking what I want to eat - or not cooking, as the case may be, and eating on my schedule. Greatly looking forward to having him back soon, but I need to find a way to continue to cater to my tastes as well as his.

    And yes on whole milk (not skim)!

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wrote that bit with you in mind, knew you'd like it! Custom writing.

      Yes you need to give your tastes as much importance as his, lovely as he is. It's easy to find yourself catering to one of you.

      Delete
  3. You seem to have a very healthy diet of many fruits and veggies. If you want to eat them one at a time, they are still just as healthy! At least that is how I look at it. I often have a dish of broccoli for lunch. I figure it's just as healthy by itself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A diner after my own heart. Do you think we've been trained to think there need to be at least three kinds of food on a plate? I wonder if magazines have perpetrated this idea, better for design.

      Delete
  4. Your breakfast bars sound pretty good - I may have to try something similar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had one for breakfast. Easy. And pretty good. Morning is not a high energy time for me, so easy is good.

      Delete
  5. Ah, I got the recipe from the New York Times so I can't claim ownership. I'm so glad you liked it!
    I'm about to make pancakes for two little boys and a big boy. The day has begun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if it was from Melissa Clark. Anyway it's good. Today I'm putting a hot italian sausage with it. Wild breakout.

      Delete
  6. morning isn't a high energy time for me either and it's usually about two hours, after coffee, that I make breakfast. and I do cook oatmeal every day unless I have to leave early for some reason and then it's they best most healthy cereal I can find in the store. unfortunately they have discontinued the European muesli I had been buying. it never fails. whatever product I buy they usually stop carrying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find that, too. We must be niche shoppers.

      Delete
  7. Cauliflower is often forgotten except for the frozen heat up with parmesan cheese. Your post inspires me to try other recipes. The oatmeal bars are a nice way of using up apples too long in the fridge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This cauliflower recipe is very good. One small head is making three meals. And I found today it's also good the second day.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!