Friday, April 16, 2021

Umami lunch

 I got this idea from the Umami Bomb book I mentioned recently. 

I needed labneh (yogurt cheese) so I started yesterday, draining plain yogurt in a cloth over a strainer, catching the whey, now saved for soup, and it was ready this morning.

Then caramelized a pan of onions down to a little delicious heap.

I'd steamed and diced the giant beet when I first got it from Misfits.

Fresh bread, bit of butter, sauteed crisp in oil in the onion pan.

Then the building of the thing, don't know its name.

And it was very good. Each bite was a combo of sweet and tart and soft and crisp.

There's plenty left, to do this again tomorrow with a fresh lot of onions. And the labneh will work as a spread on anything. Anywhere you might use sour cream, too. Or butter.

 It needs a fancy name. If it already has one, and you know it, please let me know.

13 comments:

  1. You can also add toasted caraway seeds which I forgot about but might try tomorrow. Maybe capers, too, any excuse for capers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks yummy 😋 I do like some beetroot, in fact I planted some today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't like it a lot, but this was a way to enjoy it because I think I ought to have it sometimes aside from pickled, which is a bit high in sodium.

      Delete
  3. I love beet as well. Another great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let us know if you try it. It's posh looking but pretty easy, just assembly really.

      Delete
  4. ah, another one of your lunches I wish I was eating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should drop in! Let me know in time to double the recipe.

      Delete
  5. I love your cooking. But it reminds me of my little brother saying at breakfast in a restaurant on vacation, "But it's just too far to go for breakfast."

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your open face sandwich looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Im planning to make a sauce with blue cheese crumbles and labne for the second round.

      Delete
  7. That sounds and looks really good - well except for the beet part - maybe use mushrooms instead?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could probably sub various vegetables. This was a way to try beets. But I think I still like them best pickled.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!