Sunday, April 11, 2021

These pockets are not a disgrace

 Launched by Bernadette Banner's latest YouTube upload, "Women's Pockets Weren't Always a Disgrace" where she gives a rapid fire and excellent history of the pocket over several centuries, I looked at the robe I was wearing.

I like it, it fits, it's fleecy, it's an inoffensive shade of pink. But the pockets are not even big enough to put your hand in. 


Certainly not safe for my essential phone.

Soooo once again I'm fixing stuff before I forget.

I had knit fabric left over from cutting out that top I made from an old fitted sheet, so, since the robe is stretchy, that seemed like a good match.

The pockets were cheaply constructed though, stitched all around to the robe, so I had to figure out the engineering to add to the depth without accidentally cutting wrong, on the outside. This is trickier than a pocket that hangs free inside, where you just slit and add to it.


Slit across the bottom of the pocket area, from inside,  attached the pockets I'd stitched up, first the back then front. To my surprise it works.

I can slip my hand in, phone safely in the depths so it won't fly out when I sit.

And the new pocket extensions are completely invisible from outside.Yet again one of those think about for months, execute in fifteen minutes, projects.


15 comments:

  1. So clever! It's good to keep one's phone close by, I have mine attaced to my belt, but then I always wear jeans and have my husand's wide leather belt, so it fits perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Men's robes always have nice, big pockets. Guess what I wear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Men's clothes have wonderful pockets. I've always envied the inside pockets on men's jackets.

      Delete
  3. Necessity is still the mother of invention.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Women's clothing leaves much to be desired, I said to myself recently as I stitched down facings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some is hasty workmanship from people pressured to work too fast, some is cheap design to save on fabric. I call shenanigans on all of it!

      Delete
  5. What a great solution! Too-small pockets are almost worst than none. And one can't even see the additions from the outside! Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pleased with them. I was carrying a Kindle and a phone, no problem, this evening. So this is now a much more useful robe.

      Delete
  6. Good thinking and well done for solving a problem! I love deep pockets and you are right, they usually are never on women's clothes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's collusion with the bag manufacturers! If your pockets are tiny or non-existent, you need to carry a bag. I like bags, but I also need pockets.

      Delete
  7. I just told one of my daughters that I could probably do a side gig of putting pockets in women's clothing. Things they already have. And here you are- actually working on it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so annoying we have to fix brand new items to make them useful.

      Delete
  8. I have a pair of women's blue jeans where the pockets are so short that I can only get my fingers in up to the first knuckle. Impossible to put anything at all in the pocket. Men's jeans would never be made like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They seem to think pockets for women are just a decorative feature.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!