I started on the second woven lanyard and found a surprising pattern. The first lanyard worked like tapestry, weft faced, mainly I now realize because the warp and weft were the same yarn. And it was quite broad.
When I started working with a much thicker yarn for the weft, this happened
I love this narrower band, and the birdseye pattern that developed. So cool. Exactly the same warp, same heddle, same plain weave, but the difference was amazing. I can see getting into more of this exploration.
The width, I think, is a function of how far the heddle is from the working thread. I'm learning a lot. But as you work, you get closer to the heddle and this can affect your width.
And as you're reaching further to work, you need to roll up the developing band and rethink the heddle position. There's quite a bit of decision making in this apparently simple process.
I heard back from the Knitting ministry, yes they'd like them. So we're on.
Then Misfits arrived, afternoon shift
Start to finish, which includes sweeping the kitchen floor and flattening and tying the box.
Canned goods for the food pantry, and two bags of apples, I ordered one, but I'm not complaining, chicken thighs, bone-in, good for eventual soup, spinach and scallions for a salad, peanut butter because the granola bars are becoming a staple, bananas to slice into yogurt. I had to go for fat-free yogurt, my whole milk yogurt was sold out, everyone's catching on.
I'm doing a lot of roasted veggies these days, with seasalt and olive oil. Just diced and roasted. Lunch today tiny potatoes, diced onion, spinach, broccoli and carrots. I'm definitely adding onion in from now on, a nice flavor lift. Yogurt beaten with lime juice and sugar with blueberries for dessert.
It's all good. Happy day everyone, it's a good day when you make a discovery.










It's great when a piece of art seemingly creates itself.
ReplyDeleteThat's how it felt, so cool.
Deleteone of my boat neighbours was into pans of diced veg roasted in a smatter of oil, thyme and salt, and dressed with a squeeze of lime juice. it became one of my winter staples when i had an oven.
ReplyDeleteThat sounds very much like what I'm doing. I'm using the toaster oven. I rarely turn on the regular oven except for bread.
DeleteI’ve always said it’s important to rethink the heddle position.
ReplyDeleteYour process is the same experimentation I’m sure that brought all the designs and patterns we have. What fun.
Yes, we really need an in depth debate on the heddle position and related issues. I wonder if the first band weaver screamed will you look at that? when a pattern emerged. I did, anyway.
DeleteI'm very fond of roasted veg too. And simple.
ReplyDeleteI'm not a fan of roasted carrots, too sweet, but anything else, yes.
DeleteLiving and learning go hand in hand and keep life interesting.
ReplyDeleteThey do around here, anyway.
DeleteThose meals sound delicious. I have no gumption to make anything these days but am trying very hard to make good meals.
ReplyDeleteGood for you, Val. As long as you've got good ingredients, you're set.
DeleteRoasted veggies here this time of year too. A winter staple!
ReplyDeletePretty much year round here!
DeleteAh, yes, discoveries do make a day brighter! The quilt I finished yesterday is weaving-inspired, by the way.
ReplyDeleteAny chance of pictures? Maybe on spoutible?
DeleteYes, I put a photo on Spoutible this morning! It wasn’t a difficult quilt to make at all, but it accomplishes 2 things — uses up every bit of fabric that I was gifted (someone gave me a quilt “kit” with an awful pattern, so I kept the fabric and recycled the paper pattern), and it’s my second quilt that plays with the idea of weaving.
DeleteOh, and now I see that you found the photo on Spoutible :)
DeleteAnd it's wonderful! May I screenshot and post it here on Field and Fen?
DeleteYes, I like roasted onions too. Purple onions are particularly tasty. And I like doing bell peppers too, especially red ones.
ReplyDeleteBell peppers don't fit into my budget, but red onions do.
DeleteYou get such enjoyment out of your days and it is encouraging to hear about it! :)
ReplyDeleteI'm easily amused.
DeleteJust a note: I think I always check out your posts but sometimes can’t think of a comment — like yesterday … and now today.
ReplyDeleteSame here. I read, appreciate, don't always have anything to add.
DeleteI also like roasted vegetables. I like the result of what you are doing even though I don't understand a word of it.
ReplyDeleteJust let it flow over you!
DeleteSurprise! What a lovely discovery. I am still completely baffled by how it all works. It is quite obvious that Ms. Moon will not be adding weaving to her repertoire. I have been diligently patching, though. I hope after all this, I still love those old Levi's. We shall see.
ReplyDeleteI think this backstrap weaving with a heddle is one you have to see on YouTube then try before it comes clear (er).
DeleteWe always learn new things, don't we? Sometimes good things, sometimes painful things, but we learn.
ReplyDeleteThat lanyard is quite lovely too.
Yes, learning comes in many forms. I'm pleased with this lanyard.
DeleteWow! The difference in the yarn was shocking! I like the skinny one much better for the lanyard. That was an amazing discovery!
ReplyDeleteNow I know when I see a bag on top of your box that you ordered bananas! lol!
I like the skinnier ones better, too. So now I know. They take a picture as proof of delivery, so hq also knows the bananas arrived.
DeleteHope the experimental banana inclusions will continue. I don't pretend to understand the weaving thing but was glad to hear that donations are welcomed.
ReplyDeleteIt's a multipurpose offering.
DeleteIt’s amazing how a small change can make something so different
ReplyDeleteMaybe we can do that in our lives?
Once I was watching Jamie the chef. His second name eludes me,
He added balsamic vinegar to his roast veggies. It didn’t look great everything went a dark colour. But oh my the taste. The kids loved it so much I had to keep doing it
Maybe give that a go.
I don't hate many foods, but alas balsamic vinegar, never mind what it tastes like to me...
DeleteBut the principle of a small change is a good one to bear in mind in everyday life.
"It's a good day when you make a discovery." That ought to be tattooed onto people. If I believed in tattooing. Maybe on a flag?
ReplyDeleteNeedlepointed?
Delete