After snow and ice meant no outdoor activity beyond trudging to the recycle, I thought I'd better keep up my strength Saturday, and did a thirty minute resistance and balance workout with April and Aiko.
April used 8 lb weights, I used 5 lb and Aiko used 2 lb. It was certainly warming, and I felt more cheerful after it.
And I thought why not try the ice idea, thank you Ellen, for stretching the right boot, the one more in need.
I found a Ziploc bag, to my surprise, half filled it with water and for safety put it inside a plastic loaf bag, not wishing to soak the boot.
Putting it in the boot was tricky because the design of this one doesn't open up completely. There's a kind of inner lining holding it together. Anyway I managed it.
And here it is in the freezer for a day. So we'll see. I already tried ramming a plastic glass into the toe of each boot, and hadn't tested whether it worked on this one.
But I did wrestle the glass back out of the other boot and found it had worked okay there.





In the army, we wore our new boots into the shower to provide a bit of give to the leather. not something to do in the dead of winter, I suppose.
ReplyDeleteThat's certainly one way to do it.
DeleteI use 2kg weights, which I think might be a bit under 5lb.
ReplyDeleteThe boot stretching is rather interesting, and I'll keep it in mind.
Resistance exercises are great, I'm glad you do them. I'll keep you updated on the boot front.
DeleteI've discovered fleece lined leggings- but hacked off the ankle cuffs which were threatening to cut off blood supply to ankles. So many standard items don't fit anyone you start to wonder what a standard person looks like...
ReplyDeleteThe thing about footwear is that they make both the exact same. Nobody has exactly matching feet though.
DeleteI’ve side it before, you are an inspiration! If my boots are a little too tight, I donate them to charity. I guess that’s better than selling them or throwing them away.
ReplyDeleteGiving is a nice option. But I really need to wear these boots, so I'm pushed into workarounds.
DeleteI follow those ladies too. I would be the one sitting down. Great idea for the boots.
ReplyDeleteI never sit unless it's specifically part of the program, like chair yoga. But Aiko gets a good workout sitting. Once in a while she tries standing, just to see if she can. Either way, they do show good form. And they remind you to drink water during the session, a great thing for me. I follow their pace too, no rushing.
DeleteI hope it works it is a great idea.i go to strength training classes but not since a week before Christmas you have inspired me to get to it today.
ReplyDeleteCathy
Oh yes, do go. It's such a safeguard against falling, and if you trip, against injury. Also you just feel well when you're strong.
DeleteI hope the boot stretching idea helps. I have the opposite problem with my new ones - they're a little too big so I'm going to have to get some thick insoles. I have to get size 11 which are always a little too big but the 10's are always too small.
ReplyDeleteI wonder if any shoes other than custom stitched, actually fit right off.
DeleteI bought boots similar to those, and the back of my ankles were forever sore...so they eventually were given away...many many years ago! I've learned since then to put an insert in the heel to raise my ankle higher than the place where it rubs. They sure are sturdy boots.
ReplyDeleteI was thinking of inserting a cuff around my ankle for that reason. We'll see.
DeleteYears ago I once used a spray to stretch the leather in a pair of boots. They were just leather, not a combination of materials. I don't know what that spray would have done to other materials - melt them, maybe? - it was powerful stuff. It did work, but my one piece of advice is do it OUTSIDE. Maybe they aren't all as aromatic as the brand I used, but wow, that one would curl your hair, and the boots retained the smell for a long time afterward. But they did fit!
ReplyDeleteThank you, great tip.
DeleteI haven't been out for a walk in weeks, too damned cold. It's warming up today, so I will get out but I miss my walks. I should go to the gym, but always have an excuse:)
ReplyDeleteI never go to a gym. I work out at home, partly because I'm already there! There's a cold that's not safe to go out in, wise precaution.
DeleteI need to visit April and Aika again. I've been off course for awhile. We had overnight rain and now it's snowing. Matthew asked me to thank you for the whistle and to say they are resisting.
ReplyDeleteYay for Matthew! He's in the resistance. I'm honored he accepted the whistle.
DeleteYes, check in on yes2next. They have some workouts as short as five minutes to ease back in.
I have zero experience in boot-stretching so I'm of no help here. Looks like you've got it covered though.
ReplyDeleteHow are you on painting bergamot bowls? No? Oh dear.
Delete"Nobody has exactly matching feet" -- yes, indeed! When I was last shopping for hiking boots at an EMS or REI (outdoors) store, the sales person who helped me said he had a customer who'd just retired and was planning to spend more time hiking. Her feet were different by 2 full sizes! She finally had decided that she had felt like she had enough money to buy 2 different pairs of shoes (and wear only the shoe she needed from each pair). And, she'd found an amputee-helping organization to which she planned donate half of each pair of her new hiking shoes! For decades, she'd just bought a pair of size 9 shoes when she really needed one size 8 shoe and one size 10 shoe. Whenever I'm frustrated about my imperfectly-matched feet, I remind myself instead to feel thankful that mine aren't as different as that hikers'!
ReplyDeleteShe must have been hobbling about! As I age my feet get wider and the big toe joints more prominent, so fitting is tricky. If the toebox is wide enough, the heels are way too wide. And I have low ankles so a lot of shoes are just too deep at the ankle. Etc.
DeleteWhat a good idea, good you found something that's worked.
ReplyDeleteThanks mainly to Ellen for the link.
DeleteOh well, thanks for trying it out and I hope it works for you!
ReplyDeleteI've tested positive for Flu A today - my son picked up a self test kit at Walgreens that tests for Flu A + B and Covid 19 all in one test kit. Hooray for science. I've sent a message to my nurse practitioner to find out if I need medication. I'm finally starting to feel a little bit better but it hasn't been fun! ;)
Another great tip from ellen, though I'm sorry you're sick. About the boots, stay tuned.
ReplyDeleteWhat a great idea 💡 for the boots. Thank you so much for sharing ❤️
ReplyDeleteHappy Holidays to you. I wish you good health, joy, peace and love now and always.
That boot stretching technique is one I've never heard of and hope it works for you, Boud. I wear such a large size shoe that a boot wouldn't be able to fit into our freezer unless it was empty!
ReplyDeleteI put it in the chest freezer. It wouldn't fit in the fridge top freezer.
Delete