Wednesday, December 17, 2025

Tuesday Knitting Group and Textiles and Tea

 Tuesday I had two, count them offers of rides, and took in the collection of molas to show. They were very much appreciated and I was glad I took them in. Also glad I'd studied the book that came with them because I got a lot of questions.

Great projects happening as you see



New member B doing a Kitchener grafted toe
And here's a nostepinne ready to wind balls of this handspun and dyed German rare breed fiber
The partly handspun, partly alpaca, cowl is finished 

And here's the double knitted mittens at the finishing stage ready for a trip north next week.

Convo was about molas, knitting festivals, road trips, family origins, crafts in schools, Christmas fairs, weird things kids say, snow, whistles against ICE,  and more.

Then home in time to make a pot of tea and check in to Textiles and Tea with Eugene and Rose Vigil, seventh generation southwestern wool weavers. They use the fleece of the old Churro breed, spinning dyeing and weaving traditional designs into rugs and garments.




They make and sell looms, too. Since Rose is small she designed a loom that worked for her



Here Eugene is picking plants for their yarn dyeing, with care for the continuing health of the plant and the rights of animals who feed on them.




Tuesday was full of good people and beautiful fibers.  

Happy day everyone, did your day have the ingredients you like in the mix?




27 comments:

  1. Your Tuesdays are always packed with interest, between the knitting group and Textiles and Tea. They've become one of my favorite days because of your reports. I so appreciate people with a long historic tradition, especially when it comes to using native plants wisely.

    My day had a lot of fun ingredients too - a great mix of activities with various friends, four-legged and two-legged. I'm also on a baking marathon, making twelve loaves of sourdough for a friend of mine (special request). My sourdough starter is thriving with all this activity! Chris from Boise

    PS Has your snow melted?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you like my Tuesdays! I was particularly pleased that they used the picture if gathering plants and made good points about caring for them. I didn't know you were a sourdough pro!

      Delete
  2. Some good work going on there ! That is the best way to finish off a sock, giving a comfortable wear.

    Interesting weaving...and valuable traditions being handed on. I love that zigzag rug

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I prefer toe up when I knit socks. I liked the respect the Vigils have for their surroundings and materials, and their designs.

      Delete
  3. I saw pictures of an outdoor nativity scene somewhere in Chicago where each of yhe figures had a black-clad masked ICE figurine standing behind... very thought provoking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoy your days full of good people and beautiful fibers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those red-and-white double knitted mittens are gorgeous, as are the woven items from T&T.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's a very skilled knitter, usually wearing what she makes.

      Delete
  6. Your Tuesdays are always filled with good things. And two ride offers! Weaving intimidates me, it seems o complex. My day must not have had anything worthy of remembering since I don't remember much of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like my Tuesdays. And I think my group is determined to keep me going!

      Delete
  7. How nice that you are getting offers of rides, and can then impart your knowledge to the group.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm impressed that I didn't have to ask.

      Delete
  8. Beautiful items by your group and by the people on the video!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loved seeing the Vigils work and their respectful ecological practices.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! That cowl, those mittens, those weavings, wow, so much beauty. I'm curious as to what those plants are that Eugene is harvesting.
    I broke my grandson's bowl that I had made him, it slipped out of my hand into the sink. I've just ordered at kintsugi repair kit and hope it turns out. He was pretty sanguine about it, just glue it together Nana.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good boy, Jack! Show us the repair when it happens. Rose did name the plants, including sage, but I didn't catch on very well, some unfamiliar to me.

      Delete
  11. Yes. The part about using and protecting the plants is the part I like best in that particular story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that they're not tempted by modern faster, brighter, blingier ideas, too.

      Delete
  12. Sounds like a pretty perfect day! It's always fun to read your report about knitting group and what the range of conversation was.
    Seeing those looms reminded me of our neighbour when I was a kid. She had a big loom that looked like those and she often was working on rugs that were all over her home. Wish now I'd paid more attention and asked her to teach me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was an interesting neighbor, even if you didn't become a rug weaver. I like how our conversation ranges all over the place, and avoids handwringing about current affairs. It's our oasis.

      Delete
  13. I love that they preserve the plants when they pick from them.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a lovely day with great people and projects!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Look at those looms! I bet they're something to see in action.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd like to see video of Eugene and Rose at work

      Delete

Please read the comments before yours and see if your question is already answered!