I was out Friday morning, cold but the sunshine made it great walking to the pond.
Great beech tree tracery and a large stormdowned branch to come home for added decor.
I hadn't checked on Sally Pointer recently -- older blogistas will remember my adventures in Neolithic crafts like cordage, which I learned from her. I noticed a Neolithic reference in a blog, remembered her, and went to check what she's up to.
She went to Spain, I think, on vacation recently, and did a bit of orange related craft, bergamot boxes, using windfallen fruit from street orange trees.
You can definitely guess what happened here next. She shows how to make them, starting with fresh fruit, then how to decorate them. This isn't Neolithic, nearer Elizabethan, but she was on vacation!
The fruit needs to be thick walled, and I have had these before and noticed they had much thicker walls than juicier lemons. The oranges available are thinner walled more fragile varieties, so lemons it is. Watch this space.
Meanwhile we are under a Santa Watch











Well darn it Boud - I'll get to bed late again, after falling down the rabbit hole of orange (lemon) boxes. Never heard of these before - can just imagine the fragrance. Our next harvested lemon will share its insides with a meal, and I'll give this a go with the rind.
ReplyDeleteChris from Boise
Yes, the lovely scent is on the inside, preserved by the lid. And you can add cloves and pierce the lid, to make a pomander. Let us know how it goes.
DeleteThere is much beauty in bare trees.
ReplyDeleteYou can really understand them better in winter, the shape and construction and how they keep a distance from other trees at the top.
DeleteThe tree photos are beautiful! That orange peel box has my interest. I may go grab a genuine Spanish orange off a tree on my street and give this a try.
ReplyDeleteGreat opportunity. She used windfalls, but I guess off the tree is good as long as you don't get arrested.
DeleteNo worries. Unfortunately, they’re simply all thrown away here.
DeleteSometimes it is good that life hands you lemons.
ReplyDeleteAfter you've ordered them!
DeleteSally Pointer has a nice manner and makes everything look so easy - the mark of a true expert.
ReplyDeleteShe's lovely and it's so good to see her apparently doing well after a terrible time a couple of years ago. She's resilient.
DeleteWe are at least 32 degrees cooler here this morning! But I enjoyed your walk.
ReplyDeleteThe one thing I recall about oranges, is that my mom grew up on a poor farm in rural isolated WI and she said they got so excited when each of the kids got an orange for Christmas!
Imagine that.
I don't have to imagine it. That was the high point of the Christmas stocking, an orange in the toe. After six years of war and no tropical fruit. I had to be told which was an orange and which a banana when my mom brought home a couple of each, rationed.
DeleteCan't wait to see your latest creation. Santa, not so much.
ReplyDeleteSanta on the fire truck, Police cruisers and other township vehicles, lighted up and visiting around town is fun though. They have stops where kids can get candy.
DeleteI'm looking forward to the lemon boxes if I manage them.
I'm looking forward to seeing your Lemon Peel Box! Very intriguing. I like how the Misfits flyer describes the lemons as "on the big side," lol.
ReplyDeleteThey're not kidding. That's why they're available as Misfits, supermarkets say ew, too big!
DeleteWell, it's 9°F here but with the wind it feels like -4. But luckily I can stay warm and cozy inside today. Later I will go to a birthday party for my grandson who turned 9 this week. I'm so lucky to have him and his brother living nearby.
ReplyDeleteThat sounds good, the party, that is. So you have a Sag in the family. Wish him from me, another Sag!
DeleteOkay. Now you've done it. I've sent a link to that youtube Sally did to Lily, our main craftswoman. Jessie has a lemon tree in her yard I think would be perfect. Very thick skinned.
ReplyDeleteThank you.
What have I unleashed??
DeleteFlying oranges AND Santa? Wonderful! I look forward to seeing you lemon box.
ReplyDeleteSanta was fun, flashing lights, sirens, police cars, Santa on top of the big fire truck. I'm hopeful about the lemon box. We'll see.
DeleteI will be interested to see how the lemon box turns out! A box made of citrus must smell heavenly.
ReplyDeleteThat's a very interesting craft idea! Can't wait to see how it turns out.
ReplyDeleteI love seeing the naked winter trees, too!
ReplyDeleteNever heard of an orange box. Can hardly wait to see your lemon box and how it is made. What a creative idea.
I hope it is good weather for the parade with Santa. :)
It was dry and cold last evening, very nice for Santa on the fire truck with his escort of police vehicles, lights and sirens. There are scheduled stops for kids to visit and get candy.
DeleteI'm looking forward to playing with the lemon box. If it works. They don't all.
You never tire of trying new things and I admire that. Can't wait to see the lemon box. Glad you're still able to get out.
ReplyDeleteIt's been cold here but it's warming up today so I should be able to get out with the dogs, I hope. Take care.
I get out most days except when there's ice. It gets cold here but nothing like your region.
DeleteLovely post. I bought an orange peel box on one of my trips to Mexico, then came home and made a few that I sold at an art show. This was many years ago. You will have fun with this.
ReplyDeleteI may be asking you for tips!
DeleteYep, I just fell down another rabbit hole reading about bergamot boxes and found that they were sometimes used as snuff boxes. I'm assuming that's not the plan in your case! Will be fun to see what you create.
ReplyDeleteNot snuff. My uncles used to take snuff, ew, powder everywhere. We'll see how my attempts work out.
DeleteSanta's a bit early. No doubt scoping the area.
ReplyDeleteBwahahaha!
DeleteI’m very interested in seeing what you will come up with.
ReplyDeleteI love seeing all the different crating techniques. I haven’t seen anything about Santa on our Facebook page. Usually the fire brigade does something for the local children. Obviously tough times have even affected Santa
Maybe the fire brigade will come through. There's a few days yet. I think the boxes might be a nice winter craft, the lovely smell and all. Maybe a tree ornament too.
Delete