Sunday, December 7, 2025

Not quite a murmuration

 Walking today was easier, temperature up to the 40s, and the trees were decorated with starlings, who rose up as I passed then settled back.


It's the time of year when flocks arrive, every tree branch with its occupants, all shouting, when they're not dive bombing the neighbor's feeder. See that lovely sky? We get a lot of dappled skies.

We have flocks of juncoes, too, who arrive in November and leave in spring, to summer elsewhere. Maybe they like cold, but not too cold, weather.

It's also the season where people start bringing cut trees and greens home to decorate for the holidays, and I have to proceed with caution. I'm deathly allergic to live cut greens. 

Not if they're planted, but that moment when cut branches start to smell wonderful is when my throat seizes up, I gasp for air, and lose my voice so I can't explain what's wrong! 

I used to work in a women's nonprofit, where the volunteers would decorate the buildings every year. They agreed to keep the doors leading to the area of my office closed -- and a sign saying no greens in here! -- but even so I'd lose my voice and have to keep getting outside to try and recover.

It was the time of year where I had to speak officially at many parties and end of year events, not a good time to be croaking at best.  Nowadays I suppose I'd have an EpiPen, but I don't think they were much known then, the main advice being to avoid the irritant or have shots six months before you knew about it.

All the years growing up I was very sick over Christmas, which my mother thought was bronchitis. Nobody ever caught the connection until, in our married house, I had the porch glassed in and set the tree out there in view of the street, for everyone to enjoy, front door closed.

That was the first Christmas I was well, and we realized what was up. After that I knew how to stay well over the season and it was a big improvement. It involves very brief visits to greens-infested buildings and some people who don't get it, oh well.

This week is also the return of the ants. A little column of them showed up in the living room. I suppose the cold snap has made them look for warmth. Not willing to get the $$$ Exterminator back in December, I checked out ant repellents. 

Some highly rated indoor-safe $$ sprays and traps show their active ingredient is -- borax plus sweetener. Well, I don't need expensive methods, so I reverted to my old mixture, before we found the ants nest under the siding,  that is. That needed John the Exterminator. 

So here's a container of borax mixed with confectioners sugar.

There's another one where I saw other ants. If these work, fine. I'll soon know when casualties appear. I already keep food in screw top glass jars or in the freezer. Sweep allll the time, all that.

Up to now Boud 0, ants 0. I'll keep you informed on the score.

Happy day everyone, what a cheery holiday post, all about deadly greens and creepy ants. Off to read now, maybe the last Ruth Galloway I haven't read.


It's about the pandemic. Another cheerful topic.





45 comments:

  1. My mom was allergic to live Christmas trees. We were the first on our block to have an artificial tree and she was so much happier even though neighbors thought she was making up the allergy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People don't always get it about allergies. They seem to think they're just about preferences.

      Delete
  2. How fun to see the almost-murmuration. Though starlings can be dreadful pests, they have their good points too, murmurations being one.

    You'd be safe at our house. We decorate our lemon tree for the holiday. It doesn't need a lot of ornamentation this year, as it currently bears six ripe lemons and a plethora of blossoms.

    I'll put my money on Boud and Borax. I fortunately have several Ruth Galloway books still in my future, and all Robert Thorogoods. Also, first jigsaw puzzle of the winter is on the card table. Tis the season.

    Chris from Boise (PS Congrats on getting out for a walk!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lemon tree with fruit! That's wonderful. It must smell heavenly. I used to decorate the ficus that eventually went to live at the library.

      Delete
  3. You were brave walking under the starling trees! What an allergy to have, that puts a damper on decorating but then there are good artificial trees and wreaths these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't decorate much, just put out some nostalgic items I used to put on the tree, on the mantelpiece.

      Delete
  4. In twenty three years, I've only been invaded by ants once, they finding my hair removal wax very tasty. My partner would crush, kill destroy in former homes if ants came inside. Me, they come and go of their own accord, as long as you don't have a source of food. Do you have heavy rain approaching? They often get very active at such a time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Around here they nest readily everywhere, any time. They don't tend to get above the ground floor, fortunately. So the condo doesn't get them. But the townhouses are all martyrs to ants, termites, stink bugs, all kinds of critters. We have a high water table and I think that drives some of the activity.

      Delete
  5. We always had an artificial Christmas tree when I was a kid because my sister was allergic to real ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm seeing this is more common than I'd realized. Or maybe better understood.

      Delete
  6. I had never heard about that particular allergy. Fascinating. Glad you got it figured out, but shopping this time of year would be often unpleasant.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Allergies are a nuisance, at the very least. Taken to extremes, they can be life-threatening. Eldest daughter is allergic to kiwi fruit and wasn't taken at all seriously thirty years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not always evident what causes reactions, but people who've never experienced them tend to be sceptical.

      Delete
  8. Any chemicals in the air can cause my allergic reaction, much like yours, throat closes up. But it's hard to explain that natural odors are also chemicals in the air, not just the artificial ones. So those rose oils meant I could no longer be in the choir (which was probably best). I'm especially thrown when coming into stores with cinnamon or scented candles. I hold my breath and quickly look around and then am gone! So glad you found out and got relief from this allergy! Ants! Bah humbug!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I quit Michael's craft store for my art supplies because you had to get past counters of potpourri makings and scents, and I couldn't manage.

      Delete
  9. I think of that wonderful old song, “The Ants are Blowing in the Wind.” :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I swear to you- I had never heard of a possible allergy to cut evergreens. I wonder how prevalent it is. Perhaps many people don't know they have it and just believe they always get sick this time of year. That's horrible for you!
    I got an Emily Griffiths from the library last time I was in. I'm reading it now. "A Dying Fall." I'm enjoying it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think a lot of people think it's flu or holiday stress or something. The good thing that holly doesn't do it to me, and I might cut a bit while I'm out today.
      I'm glad you're enjoying the Griffiths. I'll be sorry when I've read them all.

      Delete
  11. I rather wonder if I might have a reaction to live trees too (although not as pronounced as yours) because I get stuffed up when I'm around them. I know my allergies are always worse in the spring and fall when the trees are 'doing something' but never associated Christmas trees with the same issue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The weird thing is it's when they warm up in the house and smell lovely. Yet I'm unaffected by the same trees growing in summer and smelling lovely. Some different chemistry, I suppose.

      Delete
  12. Glad you figured out your allergy so you don't have to suffer every Christmas season. We have artificial tree and wreaths so you'd be safe in my house! Just got done helping my son do a bit of shoveling. He does the bulk of it, of course, and I just clean up after the snowblower. It's pretty but I've had enough already! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just a couple of snows and it's time to count down to spring. I'm very happy I can enjoy the season now, yes. I'm also grateful to people with safe environments.

      Delete
  13. I've never heard of that allergy before. It must have been so difficult making speeches.
    I've read The Locked Room I do enjoy the Ruth Galloway books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think people may not realize it's an allergic reaction because the season is so short, it's attributed to other things, stress, tiredness, flu, new virus.
      I love Ruth Galloway and I'm sorry she moved on from writing them.

      Delete
  14. We do a fake tree because I put it up right after Halloween.

    Not fun on the ants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are definitely into celebrating early!

      Delete
  15. I'm glad you figured out the allergies. It is actually common for people to have allergies from cut trees. There are mold spores that live within the trees. Ohhh ants. a few years back I tried everything. We finally had to call the exterminator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm allergic to mold spores, so that tracks with the lung congestion and vocal cords out of action when I'm near cut greens.

      Delete
    2. Another mould spores allergy person here, hours long coughing fits until I learned to cover nose and mouth when walking past certain gardens.

      Delete
  16. Boud, that allergy must be awful. I wish you an allergy free Christmas season!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's pretty easy to avoid these days, but it wasn't much fun before I figured it out.

      Delete
  17. Having to use an epipen is very scary. I’ve used mine twice and both times the throat closed and I couldn’t breathe.
    Definitely a fake greenery girl here too. So much easier to keep clean. If you don’t tough them they don’t shed

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just avoid the whole situation. Fortunately nowadays people don't strew this stuff around public building, more understanding of issues. And of liability.

      Delete
  18. I also had never heard of that allergy before. Bummer! Good thing they have artificial trees so abundantly now. Even visiting most people these days you'd never be near anything real--lo
    I struggled with ants at my old apartment. Super tiny little black ants who didn't like sugar? I googled. Never had heard of ants that prefer grease to sugar. Had to order a special kind of ant trap for them and that stopped them. They were attracted to the dry cat food! Was a new one to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are tiny ants and they're currently climbing into the sugar borax mix. So we'll see. I never heard of ants who didn't like sugar. PC ants?

      Delete
  19. 40s where you are? Barely getting above 30 where I am. May your warm, or at least warmer, weather make it to Ohio. Though I don't know that weather patterns go east to west.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's the other direction. Cold weather seems to have arrived early this year. And wind thrown in.

      Delete
  20. I have only had ants inside once, I followed the line back to where they were getting in and put down a few drops of the liquid poison which looks like honey, then I went outside to the same spot and found that line and followed it back to where they came out of the ground and dripped some more of the "honey": the ants drink and carry it back to the nest as well, so all the ants in the nest die. It was shortly after I had moved in and I think the ants probably used to come in when the previous tenant had pigeons and bird seed in every room.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You did well to eradicate them. Here they're everywhere, in everyone's house, and it's a constant battle.

      Delete
  21. I have the same problem with freshly cut grass. I use an artificial tree and no wreath so you'd be safe in my house.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  22. For a minute I thought cheerful me was writing this! That would be a tough allergy to have during this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The good part is that once you identify it, you can avoid it. Nowadays that's not hard, but people used to drag a lot of greens into the house at Christmas and that could be awkward. A lot of people don't get it and tend to take it personally when you only visit briefly.

      Delete

Please read the comments before yours and see if your question is already answered!