Monday was the confusing holiday change for Misfits delivery, usually Thursday. But I remembered to get the coolbag and ice block out.
Quinn showed up, gave me a wave and left the box.
So this week they were unable to send my apples. And I got rainbow carrots, expecting plain, but this is fine. Canned goods, some for the food pantry, coffee to give me a reason to get up, along with your comments on this blog, that is. Blueberries to go with the yogurt, bread for a lazy baker, plant based spicy sausage stuff, beautiful brown eggs, walnuts to add into various baked goods, soon banana bread, olive oil, cavatappi for mac n cheese, well, cav n cheese, also soup. I like soup with pasta added in.
I steamed all the carrots at once, and used quite a few to make a big pot of carrot, cavatappi and cannellini soup. The Three Cees.
I omitted the purple carrots because of Mitchell's experience. You can see quite a few containers here, ready to fill and freeze. This pot made about nine meals. I'll add ham dice when I reheat the soup.
I like having a rapid hot meal available in the freezer in this weather. I get tired in cold weather and less eager to cook.










Soup in the freezer is a treasure. As is Misfits!
ReplyDeleteOne somewhat torn lemon half is drying on a spice bottle. I figure it's good practice for a future successful lemon box.
Chris from Boise
Chris from Boise
You cut across the equator? Better than my first try. Let's see how it dries.
DeleteYep. Drying continues.
DeleteI can guess why it might not be a good idea to add purple carrots to the soup.
ReplyDeleteYou can see the appetizing color. That might not have happened if there'd been purple ones.
DeleteYou took my cooking advice! I wonder what the purple carrots would have done to that delicious and beautiful soup. A strange color for soup, but not as bad as turning the chicken in ours purple. I like that you are always given the Misfits drivers names. So much more personal.
ReplyDeleteWho thought the day would come when I looked to you for expert cooking tips? Imperfect Foods does deliveries this way -- regions subdivided so small teams work in small areas. You always know who to expect.
DeleteI made yoghurt cake once using blackcurrant yoghurt. Never again - grey cake anyone? No? I promise you it tastes fine..
ReplyDeleteYes, I made some weird blueberry pancakes once, beat the blueberries into the batter, oh dear. After that I added it after I blended the batter.
DeleteWinter is the best season for soup
ReplyDeleteMany years ago I planted rainbow carrots. The kids were still little and they got very excited seeing all the colours.
I wonder if anyone ate the purple ones?
DeleteThe larder is full. Or at least the freezer is.
ReplyDeleteIt's a good feeling.
DeleteI had to look up what cavatappi is, but now I finally know the name of that shape of pasta! I've learned my new thing for the day ALREADY, thanks!
ReplyDeletePasta names are a comic turn!
DeleteSoup is always a welcome meal in our home. That sounds like quite the interesting soup combination, the three C’s and do you add them all together when cooking, Boud?
ReplyDeleteFirst make and blend the soup with the carrots, then add the beans, blend briefly, then the pasta and finish cooking. That way it's thick from blending but you still have whole pasta, appetizing.
DeleteI made a big pan of vegetable soup yesterday - very tasty, and there's more for today.
ReplyDeleteI swear- if I get a crop of my rainbow carrots as nice as the one you got from Misfits, I'll be happy.
ReplyDeleteWhat a lovely haul!
The different colors taste different. The orange ones are sweeter, the yellow ones more earthy, the other colors a bit like parsnips and rutabagas.
DeleteYes! Who knew?
DeleteIt's always fun to see what you get in your Misfits box. We are trying to avoid grocery shopping of any sort over the holidays but the RC has informed me that we will be needing bananas. I'm dreading having to go out and scrape the ice and snow off the car...to say nothing about how treacherous the parking lot is likely to be after the ice storm.
ReplyDeleteLet us know when you get safely home again if you do venture out. Here it's mainly about wind.
DeleteHome again, home again, jiggidy jig. Very glad of it too.
DeleteCavatappi is a favorite of mine! Misfits is delivered by FedEx here, so there is no person to connect to like you have. You got a lot of meals from those carrots.
ReplyDeleteI think Imperfect Foods is delivering in test areas. They're much better than FedEx.
DeleteYour soup looks and sounds good. I made a big batch of butternut squash soup awhile back and have some in the freezer, same with chili. It's been so cold and nasty that soup hits the spot! Happy New Years.
ReplyDeleteSandy's Space
Chili sounds good. Haven't made that in ages. Hm.
DeleteI love your mifit boxes. Those rainbow carrots look fabulous. I have not made carrot soup in a long time. I think it might be time to make some again. I usually make the base and freeze it in individual containers. Mine is a Cream of Carrot soup so I just add some milk or half and half or (my favorite if I have it) heavy cream after thawing.
ReplyDeleteI like whole milk added to vegetable soups only not when I put pasta in. That's a good idea to add it when you're reheating. Noted.
DeleteI learn so many things from your blog. I didn't realize that carrots of different colors taste different!
ReplyDeleteWhen you eat them you can experience the stages of hybridizing to get to the sweeter orange colored carrot preferred nowadays.
DeleteNice delivery.
ReplyDeleteYes, pleasant driver, good food.
Delete