Saturday, December 20, 2025

Neighborly day and annual treats

There was sheeting rain Friday morning, washing away all the snow and ice, and finally I got out to walk, quick between storms.

End of the street looking left, clear blue visible 


Looking right, a lot of black, darker than it looks here. But note the complete absence of snow and ice.

Nice chat in the way home with next door neighbor about cars and his latest adventure with a dealer who thought he was an easy mark, and found his mistake, and his various buying adventures, resulting in three cars. He'd hoped to sell one but was dismayed at the price he was offered, so it's still here.

He introduced me to a new neighbor, Surya, actual name much longer but he said Surya is fine. Nice man. He bought the house so that's good. The owner landlord had let to some fairly sketchy people over the years but has now moved to Colorado and sold.  

And two more neighbors have offered me rides where needed.  I should have sold the car years ago!

Mike the Artist Contractor came over to present me with my annual peppermint bark and cookies and a chat. 


They're off to drive to their daughter's in Florida Saturday and the weather has blessed them. They drive because dogs, two Cavalier King Charles spaniels.  

For readers outside the US, it's quite a few hours from NJ to Florida, down a lot of the East coast.  They sometimes stop off in North Carolina to see his mother, pretty much on the way. From door to daughter's door is over 1,000 miles, a fair way.

And I got back from the walk about one minute before sheeting rain started up again.  Timing!

Happy day everyone.  Timing may not be everything but it doesn't hurt.

 





32 comments:

  1. Ooh, I want some peppermint bark! So nice to be meeting more neighbors and how wonderful that you got your walk in before the downpour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the way my neighbors are friendly and caring and not intrusive. That suits me a treat.

      Delete
  2. Having a timely comfortable walk seems a great part of your yesterday. Plus connecting with neighbors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. It was very chatty for me anyway. Nice once in a while.

      Delete
  4. I don’t know what our walk will be like today. Not sure of the weather yet or the condition of the sidewalks after rain and then freezing along with whatever snow was also lying about.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the sky in those first two photos. The trees are a lovely filter in the first. You have great neighbours, Boud.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The light was suddenly very high, good for pictures. I do have nice neighbors, new nice people move in, too.

      Delete
  6. Peppermint barks sounds good, although I doubt I'd like it because I'm not a fan of peppermint flavour. I know peppermint is supposed to settle your stomach but it has the opposite effect on me.
    We had a warmer day yesterday so much of the snow is going but then last night we got freezing rain.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sometimes I feel guilty (default emotion anyway) that we have such relatively mild weather here while the rest of the country is suffering. And then, a hurricane heads our way and I feel as if it is all evened out.
    I think your neighbors are some of the very best and I am sure they feel that way about you, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't envy you your summers. Ours are hot but not as long.

      Delete
  8. I don't know if you have heard of this parable, but it reminds me of you.

    https://shantesh.digitalpress.blog/parable-of-the-two-villages/

    You are the second person whom I'm sure finds good neighbors wherever she goes. I've been fortunate too and always had good neighbors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's nice, thank you. Yes, I think you pretty much get what you're looking for.

      Delete
  9. You do have wonderful neighbors. Being carless has turned into a very good and wise choice.It's cold and windy here, but it's supposed to warm, which is not good. Ice. The slippery kind, not the thuggish kind. I used to make chocolate bark. Peppermint is a little too strong for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The peppermint comes from crushed candy canes strewn on top. So there's texture as well as flavor.
      Being carfree is much less stressful than was forecast by various gloomy people!

      Delete
  10. You have some wonderful neighbors. Ohhh peppermint bark cookies. Yuummmm. Glad you got home from your walk before the sheeting rain. I wish you the happiest of Christmas and the very best of 2026.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the good wishes, Nicole. Yes, nice neighborhood

      Delete
  11. It is so great to have nice neighbors. I have nice neighbors, too, who surprised me the other day with a tin of homemade Christmas cookies! So enjoyable as I do not bake Christmas cookies but I like to eat them! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a very good present. Edible and you still have the tin

      Delete
  12. My wife has always made Christmas cookies but this year she says she just doesn't think she can manage it. I may try some but I'm not sure I can either. We live much quieter lives these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I reduced a lot of what I used to do for holidays and it's so much easier not to be stressed out trying to do all the things. And it gives other people a chance to step up. So there's that. My son has picked up quite a few food arrangements these days. He's fine with it.

      Delete
  13. What a great neighborly walk. Perfect timing, too. Two more ride offers--wow! People are just so nice, aren't they? I don't like having a brown Christmas, so I am glad we got a little more snow after warmer weather and rain because it is only 6F right now and not expected to get over 30 into the new year or get any more snow, so I am so happy we have some! I do love a white Christmas!! Have a great weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just as happy to have a green Christmas which is what I see out there. It means no ice, suits me. Yes, people are rallying round like billyo.

      Delete
  14. The snow and ice where I am disappeared, only to reappear two days later. What a tease!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Seems like you have good community with your neighbors. So nice! I like how many rides you've been offered. We have new people moving in across the road today, and I'm going over with some cookies today. The family that moved out was our "I'm away, so would you take in our package?" neighbor -- and I'm hoping maybe the new neighbors will be as good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Certainly a good start, with cookies to welcome them.

      Delete
  16. Made peppermint chocolate cookies today. Safe travels to them. Long drive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those sound like very good cookies. They do the drive a couple of times a year. I'm glad for them the weather went milder, no ice.

      Delete

Please read the comments before yours and see if your question is already answered!