Saturday, December 6, 2025

Winter is icumen in

 

This was a layered up walking day, but I still only went about 15 minutes. It takes energy to walk in the cold, but I needed to get out there even for a while.

So Monday the cleaners come and I have a ride service set up, to the library, where there's a new exhibit. 

I can walk from there to the PO.  So I plan to finish the second glove and I hope a lanyard, but at least gloves and socks, will be ready to mail out.  Then I'll set up a ride home one way or another.

I'm figuring out the strategy of getting errands accomplished using a mix of ride services and friends' help. You can organize more than one stop with ride service, as long as they're brief. Like dropping off items at the food pantry. This will work. I want to ask only infrequently for friends' help so as not to wear out my welcome. Everyone's very generous now, but that could wear a bit if it's overused.  

 There's a Marlow audiobook newly uploaded to YouTube to accompany my weaving and knitting, great timing, Murder on the Marlow Belle.  


It's a boat, small occupancy, so it provides a limited number of suspects and location, in true classic crime fiction tradition. Amazing how many shady characters you can find in a small region. They never run out.

Happy day everyone, shady or not. I suspect everyone. I suspect no one. 





 

34 comments:

  1. I have some memory of an English crime series on tv related to Marlow. Was an investigator, or perhaps the author of the book upon which the series was based.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a new series, in the town of Marlow. You may be thinking of the old Philip Marlowe detective stories?

      Delete
  2. Oh, brrr. Good for you for still getting out and walking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's interesting reading how you are managing without a car. They are talking about bringing in new 'fit to drive' assessments here, possibly starting from aged 75 and over if I've understood the reports. We're dependent on my husband being able to drive at the moment to get everywhere, so I hope he'll be able to continue for a long time yet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some places here require retesting at a certain age, too, not where I live.

      Delete
  4. You have your outing planned in your usual efficient manner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I try for it. Always nice when it works!

      Delete
  5. Winter is settled in here this week too. So cold!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, there's lots of shadiness to go around!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You just have to be untrusting to find it.

      Delete
  7. Marlow is very nice, just the place for a shady crime or two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's clever to set it on a waterway, great plot options.

      Delete
  8. I'm glad things are working out after car ownership. You are making it work and I am not surprised in the least.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was surprised at 82 to be able to renew my drivers license by mail. I am luckily still capable to drive, but I do hear horror stories about seniors with difficulties. Yesterday I saw a woman who had such pain In her legs she could barely walk, carrying the car keys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so hard to give up, because for a lot of people it's their independence. But it's wise to consider that there may be other ways to manage.

      Delete
  10. It's nice that you are aware of the possibility of wearing out your welcome (so to speak) with getting rides from friends. It's good that there's an alternative available and that you can manage a balance between the two.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It seems not having the car will work out fine for you. You have made me look at where I live in a different way. I would be sunk if we weren't able to drive. Something I never considered.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It might be good to look into options now, long before you need to. I guess horseback won't do it?

      Delete
  12. Walking puts me in such better spirits too! I think it’s due to a variety of aspects — leaving the four walls of my home, not being responsible for anyone else (it’s just one of my dogs and me out there), moving my body, and being out in nature. During the height of the pandemic, I’d take a dog out for a walk when I was about to lose my mind. It helped so much! Yesterday, I walked for 20 mins in 15-degree weather. Almost too cold, and I couldn’t’ve stayed out longer! But my Husky dog sure didn’t mind :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a limit to how long I can breathe very cold air, even through a scarf. But I think it's good, even for a little while.

      Delete
  13. I read that book and remember that I enjoyed it!
    I wonder if any of your charity groups have pick up service. I have Amvets come about every 6 weeks or so to get any household items or clothing I am donating. They call me and let me know the date they will be in my neighborhood. Very convenient!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, same here. At this point I don't have anything for them to pick up!

      Delete
  14. I completely understand the need to get out and about, even briefly. I've been to Marlow! Dave and I went to a pub there when we stayed in nearby Bray. Fortunately we weren't on a boat and weren't murdered.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Visited Marlow and lived to tell the tale. Next St Mary Mead?? Except I think that's a fictional name.

      Delete
  15. Layers for sure! Stay warm
    Rides from friends, can be uneasy to balance. I feel the key is to keep in mind they are doing a for others, building their good karma. In my need a ride days, using services was freeing from the unwelcome feeling I put on myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's a balance situation. With some friends, they're repaying things I've done for them over the years, but I don't like that numbers game, as I think you don't.

      Delete
  16. The book sounds interesting. I still catch a bus everywhere I go, its easier than trying to work out rides from others, many of whom still work everyday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are no buses here, so rides are the only option, ride service or otherwise. I'd use transportation if there were any that went where I need to go, that would be great.

      Delete
  17. Sure does sound like "so far so good" on the getting about without a car. That's fantastic that they will let you do brief things like drop off food at the food pantry. I didn't even know that. Wonderful to hear.
    I wouldn't want to go out walking here this morning as it is -8F. Kind of beyond brrr to dangerous when it gets below zero. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that's too cold for safe breathing.
      You can arrange a limited number of stops when you book, usually five free minutes, then the cost goes up. I think I might make use of this when I get the hang of it.

      Delete

Please read the comments before yours and see if your question is already answered!