Monday, December 22, 2025

Bergamot boxes more or less, part one

I had the lemons waiting,  ready for the bergamot boxes, or lemon boxes. The peels need to be soaked in boiling water for an hour. Since I was having boiled egg and toast for dinner, I thought ah, do it then. Ready pan of boiling water after the egg comes out.


Since I was going to use two lemons I experimented, cutting one pole to pole as Sally recommended, and one across the equator, to see which worked better.

You have to scoop out the insides, now in the freezer for the next time I need lemons 

Then soak, here in the water from the egg 


Then find containers to use as molds, and you also find that even the smallest ones in the house are a bit too big. 

It takes ages to scrape out the pith, then turn the rind inside out. One just exploded into three pieces, hence only three seen here

It then took more ages and patience to get them to lie on the molds and this is probably the tenth iteration, since the rubber bands I started with kept leaping off and flying across the room. Then I resorted to twine hoping that might stay put.

This is the state of the boxes Sunday evening, and they will need to be revisited and pressed down and squeezed frequently during the drying process, which might be a day or more. 

If they dry, there's more to do. I doubt if any two will fit together like a box and lid, so I may have made bergamot bowls. 

Bergamots are a variety of orange, but this idea can work with any citrus fruit, the idea being the lovely scent. 

Anyway there may or may not be a part two, depending on the vagaries of the lemons, the solstice and the configuration of the planets.

Update: another rind broke apart spontaneously. That's both of the pole to pole cut ones. So, despite Sally, I'll stick with equator cutting. Pole to pole works for the globular orange shape but lemons, no, maybe not 

Meanwhile happy day, everyone and remember I do these things so you don't have to. 





26 comments:

  1. Thanks for experimenting pole-to-pole vs equator so I don't have to. I'm going to play with this when I harvest the next lemon (lemon walnut cookies in the offing). Happy solstice! Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good. I did not work in vain. Happy solstice!

      Delete
  2. Thank you! Now I've seen the process I can appreciate the work/determination that goes into creating the boxes. I think I'll stick to dried slices!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a couple more lemons to go, when my hands recover!

      Delete
  3. I’ve never heard of bergamot boxes. I’ll have to Google them
    They do sound like a whole lot of work. I hope you can get at least one after all that effort

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you scroll back a few posts you'll find info about Sally Pointer's YouTube video, very good. They are labor intensive, but the process is part of the fun.

      Delete
  4. Quite the procedure. I only knew the word, bergamot, as a plant commonly called bee balm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew it as the flavoring in Earl Grey tea, but thought it was an herb, now I find it's citrus, who knew?

      Delete
  5. Thank you for your adventure into bergamot-lemons, so I don't have to do it. You are so kind! And since it never was on my intentions in the first place, you are truly an inspiration. I'm patiently hoping that you have success.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! The outcome is only part of it, really. It's the making I go for. But I hope something emerges!

      Delete
  6. I'm glad I never have to do it! What are they used for when you get them dried and finished?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stay tuned! They are wonderful smelling artworks -- you cover the outside and paint it.

      Delete
  7. Thank you for doing things so we don't have to although I must admit to an avid curiosity to see how they end up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm curious, too. With natural materials you never know.

      Delete
  8. That last sentence made me laugh. You are fighting the good fight, so we don't have to:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hmmm...
    And it looked so easy on the video! Isn't that the way of it, though? Here's hoping for at least one bergamot bowl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She had a few oranges to work on, plus an edit function! And she was using the right kind of orange, so there's that. She did warn that it might not always work. The smell is lovely, so I can't get discouraged. The thing you can't tell from watching is how much hand strength it takes. Quite a bit.

      Delete
  10. Come what may, I'd love an update on how your two remaining bowls turn out. Fascinating process!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Come what may. Words to live by! Don't worry, you'll be dragged through updates. I'm not doing all this without making everyone else suffer!

      Delete
  11. I had to Google Bergamot boxes to see what on earth you were up to. It seems way too much work for the end result. But you be you. I'll be curious to see what results from all this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The result is only part of it. The experience is the real reason. I'm curious too, to see where I get!

      Delete
  12. What is the purpose of Bergamot bowls? What will they be used for?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Off to read about bergamot boxes! Merry Christmas Boud!

    ReplyDelete

Please read the comments before yours and see if your question is already answered!