Tuesday, September 17, 2024

Sitting Pretty, and medical outings

Monday afternoon I did a matinee, an ancient Hollywood comedy, creaky but entertaining 


As unlikely as you'd expect, and my face blindness kicked in big-time, in that I couldn't detect the difference between the principal Clifton Webb and the snoop who lived with his mother and hybridized iris.

This definitely complicated the plot, until they appeared in the same scene and light dawned. 

This is not unusual in my life, and I've learned workarounds, also treading water until I identify who I'm talking to. To me a lot of people look like a lot of other people.  

I was happy to discover that I had this in common with Oliver Sacks. I'm in good company. And yes, I do know the name of the condition, having studied ancient Greek, before someone bustles in to tell me đŸ˜‰. I just don't think it belongs in this paragraph.

The allergy season took a few days off and now I think ragweed is coming for me. Endless sneezing and swollen eyes, poor baby. But Tuesday is exciting -- Ruth and Laura get pushed up to 90%. 

I'm so happy with the hearing improvement I've been getting that this will be interesting. I've already dispensed with captions in movies, even for whispers and outdoor windy scenes, wheeee.  So now I wonder if, after I've reached the next level, I'll hear bats. 

Then the following day is Bone Shot Day, a biannual event, if that means twice yearly, not every two years. The bone density test showed improvement, so I'll get the official word then. 

This is a massively expensive shot, about $1,600 each time, and I'm glad to say Medicare covers it, after the doctor sets it up initially.  I'm also glad it appears to be working, a nice point. These old bones are suitably grateful. As am I, still walking daily, unaided, doing stairs, all that. 

I think my forays into sitting at stop signs waiting for them to turn red, and pointing my auto fob at my front door expecting it to open, are not particularly age related. More like dumbitude, seen at various ages, if younger friends are anything to go by.

Happy day everyone, feel free to share your own dumbitudes in the comments. 




30 comments:

  1. Glad to hear that Medicare covers your Bone Shot and that the shots are working well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I often try to turn the TV on with my phone instead of the remote. Good news on your bones. Crazy how expensive some of these medications are.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ironically, I watched Sitting Pretty last week - I hadn't seen it in a long time. I'm so sorry that you are plagued with sight problems. My mother had them and I had two surgeries on my eyes long ago.
    Thank goodness for Medicare. Medical costs are outrageous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since cataract surgery my vision is fine. My thinking, not so much!

      Delete
  4. I watched something the other day, I forget what it was, but I only caught about half the dialog and no subtitles. fortunately it didn't really matter and I was able to follow along the plot. I have osteoporosis but refuse the various medications. my odds of a bone break are well in my favor for now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been surprised at how much I'd been missing before Ruth and Laura, keep getting surprised. The shots for bone density have had no side effects on me, much better than tablets.

      Delete
  5. You always make me smile. I have always opened (well, attempted to open) my front door with my car fob. And I regularly got out my house keys to start my keyless entry car. Likewise, I use the AC remote to turn on the TV. I am so excited about your great hearing news!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if the mfrs make them black just to mess with us. I'll let you know how r and l go.

      Delete
    2. Well, our AC remoted is white. So, it’s me.

      Delete
  6. While I like classic films, this one was a new one to me. Clifton Webb was a fine actor, but just not a favorite. Good to read that the bone density shots are working, but Yikes that cost...good that it's covered.

    Thanks for your comment on my blog post which seems to have gone astray and not in Spam. I check every day to eliminate the worthless ones and to allow the valid ones to publish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw this movie when it first came out, and remembered the baby with the cereal bowl on his head!
      Sometimes comments show up ages later in spam, but it wasn't deathless prose, so it's all good.

      Delete
  7. Is that bone density shot some sort of 'infusions? My mum and her friend spoke of getting infused with some drug for bone density protection. It made it sound like a session of dialysis or something - like it takes ages. Does it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's just an injection with Prolia, like any shot. Sounds like infusions are different, maybe for existing osteoporosis. I only have the beginnings, and this wards it off.

      Delete
    2. I take and love Prolia.

      Delete
  8. I've never seen that movie. Every time I see Robert Young I think of "Father Knows Best." Or Sanka!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those enduring commercials! Maureen O'Hara was in this, too, though I didn't recognize her. I'm glad of cast lists.

      Delete
  9. I have face blindness too! Or at least face confusion. I was watching a series on Netflix and two of the women were blonde and their hair was styled similarly and it took me a long time to figure out which was which and who was who. It's a funny thing, isn't it?
    Here's the thing I've been doing lately- I put the clothes in the washer, put in the detergent, turn it on, set the cycle, and walk off without pushing the start button. I do the SAME thing with the dishwasher. Load it up, put in the detergent, pick the cycle, walk away. Then I come back an hour later to unload one of those two machines and guess what? Nothing is clean.
    And there is so much more. But that's the main one I'm doing these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe you should point the tv remote to start the machine.

      Delete
  10. Hooray for hearing aids. Mine will need a big tune up come October.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I recently watched a mystery where someone had prosopagnosia: Rizzoli and Isles.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm with you on the face confusion, Ms. Moon (and Boud). Lord help me if I'm ever asked to do a police lineup (or give an eyewitness account of anything).

    So happy (again!) about R&L's improvement of your hearing. My goal is to be able to hear cedar waxwings - not quite there yet. As to bone health, your walking and daily stairs complement the Prolia shots.

    My current dumbitude is to set up the oven to preheat to whatever, and fail to push Start. It can set dinnertime back considerably. Maybe I should use the TV remote on that, too.

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I'm not alone in the face thing. People are not always understanding, taking it personally when you don't recognize them.
      They really should make more intuitive appliances, which understand when to turn on and off.

      Delete
  13. My husband has trouble with face recognition and as a teacher, his work life was interesting! He adapted over time as did his students every year, who knew he may call them the wrong name on occasion!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm so happy your hearing is better and your bones are good. Yay you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're always generous to your friends' good news, thank you.

      Delete

Please read the comments before yours and see if your question is already answered! Anonymous commenters: enter your name in your text if you want your comment published.